92-97 VS. 98-02 REAR BRAKES.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92-97 VS. 98-02 REAR BRAKES.

I know the 98-02 front disc setup is the best way to go on our boxes, but I was wondering about the rear conversion. I've read where guys are doing the 92-97 setup, but I don't see anything on 98-02. Can someone clue me in please?
    Thanks, MIKE

I think the rotors and stuff are the same size, but the 98-02 rear is watts link where the 92-97 is the same as a box. Quite possible the 98-02 stuff fits, but I think its more a case of nobody has tried yet. Basically if it will bolt on to the differential, then it should work.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

two variations
      91-early 95
      mid 95-02

honestly it dont matter, only difference is the early calipers slide on the bolt/pin, while the later ones have the rubber bootie and slider pin and bolt deal on the calipers
      early cars are more common around here, that's why i use the early parts......mrltd's wagon has 96 towny rears on it......whatever you harvest make sure you know the year, pi or non pi, phenolic or steel pistons......theres a couple rear pads that fit these cars and i always manage to come home with the wrong ones lol.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

From a long-term maintanence-free point of view, which of the two is least troublesome? More forgiving of neglect?

Alex.

Comment

not sure alex.....prob about the same

i've got about 30,000 miles on my rear discs......same pads from 2004.......thain has a bit more on his towny, and he's runnin the pads we installed
          donalds rear pads were worn out, but he's got about 70,000 mi on the conversion

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I want to know what genious came up with the phenolic (PLASTIC!!!) pistons. We run the E-450 conversion van/busses here where I work. The rear brakes last 20,000 miles tops, and at EVERY brakes job, I have to replace the calipers. If they aren't leaking, the pistons are disintegrating. They redid the brake systems when they redesigned the noses on the vans (another cosmetic fuck-up!!) for '08, and so far they haven't been a problem.. Buit 95-07, are a nightmare.
            Mike

Comment

The reason I did the early brakes, for the rear was pad selection (get the steel piston). When I was getting all the parts, availability of track level brake pads was something I wanted to be sure of, and I found them for the fronts of the 98-02 but not the rears, where the early rears I did find them. The only reason there are track pads for these brakes is because they were used on some other car. I don't know which ones, but that's why. You can't get any performance track pads for the front of a box police model car, but you can for the civilian, because the stock brakes for the civi box Panthers is the same as the front's of Fox-Body Mustangs.

Comment

Working...
              X