Power Steering Flush Procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering Flush Procedures

I debated about where to put this, but this seemed to make the most sense. Admins, feel free to move it.

As I posted in the WAYWO thread, I replaced my high pressure power steering line on the Fire Engine last night. While I was at it, I decided it might be a good idea to flush the system out, so I disconnected the return line from the reservoir, aimed it into a bucket, got a friend to plug the hole in the bottom of the reservoir and pour fluid into it, and I turned the pump by hand.

Problem was, I couldn't get any fluid to come out of the return line other than a few drips, which I think were from fluid that was in there already anyway. I had been under the impression that by doing it this way I could flush a bunch of fluid through the system to clean it out. What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance.

--Nathan

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

I just replaced my pump, I had to pull the return line then drain the system from that and re fill it. Im not sure of the proper way to go about flushing it though, Im still bleeding the air from my system now, Called ford and they said it just has to work its way out, you can turn the wheels with the fill cap off and the car running in park to circulate it, but mostly it takes time.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I'm not trying to get air out - there's not any air in the system to speak of. Just trying to get the dirt out, assuming there is some.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Yeah just pulling the return and dumping more fluid in the fill while turning the pump should do it, maybe you need to idle the car though, had mine running without the cap to bleed it, But im not sure if you could keep up with the pumps demand at that point.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Going along with that idea, maybe it would be possible to add a tee to the return line with a smaller-ID hose leading down to a bucket? That would somewhat restrict the rate at which the fluid runs out and make it easier to keep the reservoir filled during the procedure (probably still want to get a gallon container of Type F, assuming that's still the recommended p/s fluid for the newer cars, to help make sure you have plenty of fluid you can pour without stopping).
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Is it possible to crank your (fire) engine (I had to say it) over without the ignition on? Or perhaps use something like a small belt hooked up to a cordless drill and a use low speed? Your car has a cooler on it yes? Perhaps that is why spinning the pulley by hand isn't working?

Just throwing idea's out there. When I replaced my PS pump I just refilled with new fluid and was good to go. Actually, I think I may have either left the cap loose or off when I first started it after installing the new pump. It's been a while and I'm not sure.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

You can just turn the key to start it but not let it catch and keep bumping it over while someone pours it in. Had to keep bumping my friends car to align the belt because some of the new cars dont have a tension arm or any accessory with sliding brackets to tension. Could try that.
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

it should pump some out if you spin the pump by hand. I know the old box style pumps will do it. you've got the line off that goes from the steering box back up to the reservoir right?
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's got the power steering cooler on it, so it goes from the reservoir to the pump, pump to the steering gear, gear to the cooler, and cooler to the reservoir. I suppose it's possible I didn't turn it long enough to get the air out that was introduced by the new hose, but it doesn't seem likely. It shouldn't take that long, should it?

Comment

I would run the air out then flush it... Took me a good hour to get it out of mine. Only air should have been in the two lines because the box stayed full and I filled the pump up. I let my car idle for probably 15 minutes turning the wheel back and forth too, called ford and he said let it set after and settle sure enough it did. But moving the last line on the way back to the reservoir should let you drain it.
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                      I would run the air out...
                      Like I said before:

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                      I'm not trying to get air out - there's not any air in the system to speak of.

Comment

return from cooler, return from box, same idea as long as its the return, and not the feed hose out to the pump.

air in the new line may have been it, I dunno. I've never messed with the new style pumps much so I don't know if maybe there is something goofy that they have to spin at a certain speed to move fluid or not. I can't see that being the case but who knows.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It take two people.
                          Remove return line, point it to a bucket or anything you want.
                          Put finger over hole where hose was.
                          Fill reservoir, start car, keep reservoir full!
                          Do not let it all run out!
                          When fluid runs out clean, stop.
                          Put hose back on, you are done.
                          I did it to mine and it works fine.
                          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Working...
                          X