No announcement yet.

Fishtailing on snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my wagon with the 255/50/17 BFG KDWS is a tank. Even with 300hp, 2400 rpm stall, WR-AOD and 3.73's it was the best inthe snow out of all the cars I currently own 2 of which are FWD
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I drove my car in snow for the first time today. It seems pretty good. It'll slip, but with the trak lok, the sliding is very predictable and you don't really slow down much.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Strange, I've never really had any trouble with any of mine, other than my '01 being horrendous at the beginning of the season last year when I still had half used up summer tires on it. I put on a set of snows and it's been terrific ever since. My '85 Lincoln and '89 Crown Vic PI both always just had all season tires on them, and I never had much problem with either one in the winter.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Not to start anything but. Ya just have to learn to drive in the snow, rain, and all the rest of it. I have found over the years that it is mostly the driver and not the car.
          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

I've never had issues with the Towncar either. The Mark VII absolutely sucks, and so does the S10 but the Towncar just goes where I point it. I don't have winter tires either, just all seasons. No extra weight in the trunk, just a sub box and whatever other junk is floating around. I never made any effort to add weight or do anything special though. I do have a factory traction lock and I think that helps a fair bit. It will spin out but its predictable and easy to counter.

Of course, keep in mind I learned to snow drive in a Beetle, then i went to a 2wd S10 pickup that I never weighted down. The S10 is touchy to drive in the snow, but its utterly impossible to drive with crappy tires. Almost anything is better than an empty small pickup truck so maybe my perception of winter handling is a bit off. The Beetles were amazing in snow though.
            Last edited by gadget73; 12-10-2009, 08:41 PM.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah i've never had any troubles either, in what little snow we actually get... then again they also don't really know what snow removal is down here, so when we do get snow, the just make the roads worse by removing all but the bottom layer, which usually freezes... but my gmq was great in the snow unless i was trying to drive like a jackass (i'm young, let me have my fun lol)... but the beast is fine in the snow, downright great...
              88 CVPI - 5.0, lsc headers, punched cats, Cherry Bomb glasspacks, transgo shift kit, 3rd gen police console, 3rd gen push bar, KC Daylighters, wagon rear springs, soon to be 3.55 posi rear, all police antennas and spotlight, 216k on orignal motor, trans, and rear.
              90 Festiva - 1.6 dohc turbo pushing 15 psi, full coil overs, 6 puck clutch. Daily whip that shits and gets. 30 mpg!

Comment

i had problems at first, but I got used to it to the point where I drove when we got a foot a snow (the roads were compacted but still ice covered). Actually if learn to finesse the throttle a bit, and the proper amount of countersteer, you can slide around the turns no problem . What I did to get used to it was I took the car to my high school's parking lot during christmas break, and just cut donuts for about two hours, which in turn, actually taught me to break out of a slide.Then they installed those damn cameras.
                Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

i did the same thing at my high school as well lol, in my 84 cv that i had at the time
                  88 CVPI - 5.0, lsc headers, punched cats, Cherry Bomb glasspacks, transgo shift kit, 3rd gen police console, 3rd gen push bar, KC Daylighters, wagon rear springs, soon to be 3.55 posi rear, all police antennas and spotlight, 216k on orignal motor, trans, and rear.
                  90 Festiva - 1.6 dohc turbo pushing 15 psi, full coil overs, 6 puck clutch. Daily whip that shits and gets. 30 mpg!

Comment

I did the same thing at my H.S. but one dry pavement at the end of a school day with my G-Marq..LOL..

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                      Not to start anything but. Ya just have to learn to drive in the snow, rain, and all the rest of it. I have found over the years that it is mostly the driver and not the car.
                      X2

Comment

I went driving in the first notable snow we've had all year tonight. All I can say is trak-lok FTW! It makes the car so much more predictable. Traction when you need it, and drifts on command. A large icy parking lot is also great for testing it out.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                          Trust me, I know how to drive in the snow. It snows here 4 - 6 months out of the year. And like I said, I've driven many cars in the snow, including RWD cars, and never had as much trouble as I do with this one.

I have 3 cars, and only the GM has no traction. My other cars with summer tires handle better than this one with winter tires.

Comment

Originally posted by marq89 View Post
                            Trust me, I know how to drive in the snow. It snows here 4 - 6 months out of the year. And like I said, I've driven many cars in the snow, including RWD cars, and never had as much trouble as I do with this one.

I have 3 cars, and only the GM has no traction. My other cars with summer tires handle better than this one with winter tires.
                            I'm kind of curious ... you mentioned some other older stuff, but do you have winter seat time in a box Caprice? It'd be entertaining if their car worked but Ford's ripoff got it wrong somehow.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

No problems with my traction in snow. Most of the time it's pretty much mandatory to use tire chains though, too damn hilly around here. But anyway I run all season tires, and when I don't use chains and it's really slick, I don't have problems.
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                                I'm kind of curious ... you mentioned some other older stuff, but do you have winter seat time in a box Caprice? It'd be entertaining if their car worked but Ford's ripoff got it wrong somehow.
                                No, I've never driven a Caprice.

Comment

Working...
                                X