Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gears and stall(yeah im asking a noob question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gears and stall(yeah im asking a noob question)

Might have a chance to choose between 3 different sets of gears for my linc
    3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 so ...with that in mind what should i run also i was wondering what stall should i use with these gears i have a buddy in buff that custom builds tq converters. id really like to have the best combo i can with my HO conversion when its alll said and done. all input is greatly appreciated.also if i can just get a locking carrier can i just put these gears in and still do the clutch mod with it?
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

What's going in front of it, just a stock HO swap? What about the shift governor?

Vehicle weight and tire height are also useful information ....
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Unless you're going to do a HO conversion, the lowest set of gears I'd run would be the 3.73's. The problem is that with the 4.10's and a lopo motor, you need to stay near the torque peak as long as possible, and the 4.10's don't really stay there very long in first and second.

Essentially, the car actually stands a chance of slowing down if you run the 4.10's vs. the 3.73's.

It also gets a bit interesting getting a speedometer to read correctly with 4.10 gears and a stock CV-based AOD....but it can be done.

More info is available, if you need it....

Comment

I plan on using a full Ho conversion with gt40 heads and intake with 65 tb
        tires are 215/65/15
        i was leaning towards 3.55 gears mainly cuase i can get the whole axle for 100 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
          Might have a chance to choose between 3 different sets of gears for my linc
          3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 so ...with that in mind what should i run also i was wondering what stall should i use with these gears i have a buddy in buff that custom builds tq converters. id really like to have the best combo i can with my HO conversion when its alll said and done. all input is greatly appreciated.also if i can just get a locking carrier can i just put these gears in and still do the clutch mod with it?
          also going to do a shiftkit at some point,but im not sure what that will do my tranny is out of a 90-91 townie that had a 4.6 in front of it.shifts fairly nice and firm.

Comment

Save up and swap the engine, gears, and governor all at once.

And I don't have to tell you that Scott swears by his 3.73 gears, HO cam, and Thumper-ported E7 heads that he claims ran under $800 shipped.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
            X