New tires/wheels going on next weekend, last minute questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tires/wheels going on next weekend, last minute questions

Today I picked up a set of aluminum 15x8 Ultra rims. All four for $200. I'm going to get tires around Sept. 12th, cause I get paid then. I want to run 265x50R15 tires at all four corners, as I know there is clearance for them, but I was wondering if there would be any long-term effects to doing this, such as ball joint failure or anything. I know that there is a lot of added weight with these tires, and I don't want to mess up anything under the car. I was also wondering, will a 275x60R15 fit in the rear of these cars? I like the raised-rear-end look, but these tires are huge, and wouldn't run them until I swapped axle ratios to at least a 3.73. Suggestions?

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

I had 275 60 15s on the back of my car. With the stock 2.73s. They're only a half inch taller than the stock 225 70 15 size.

They also don't look that wide on the back of a box.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

You don't have clearance for 265 in the front if you expect to turn. I have 255's on the front of my Town Car and they chew on the inside fender lip every time I take a tight turn or hit a bump while turning (such as pulling into a parking lot). If I rolled that lip it'd fit just fine but it's a pain in the ass because I have to roll the fender AND the trim piece.

Should've done it before I painted the car...

Comment

There's a BIG height difference in a 265/50 and a 275/60! 25.4 inches overall diameter versus 28.

Whether it rubs and where it rubs will depend on a lot of things, such as your combination of front springs, front shocks, and front ride height, and of course how much offset/backspacing you have on your new wheels. Obviously, taller and wider tires will rub sooner (275/60 up front is pretty much out, for example), but a 265/50 is pretty short and might not be a huge deal, again depending on backspacing, as long as the suspension is comparatively stiff. I will admit to having a notion of trying a 265/50/15 on the front of a Panther using some old 15x8.5 alloys with quite a bit of negative offset (255/60s have rubbed with these where the same size didn't on a 15x8 with 3.75" backspace).

Balljoints and tie rods will experience additional stresses if you run front wheels with a high scrub radius, that is, the distance between the balljoint and the centerline of the wheel. With stock wheels, the scrub radius is pretty small, but it'll go up if you run wheels with negative offset.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

If they aren't the correct backspacing they wont fit.... I hope you know the fitment, or test fitted them.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Isnt a 265/50R15 shorter than the stock tire?

I'm sure a 295/50R15 is the same hight as the stock size within 1%. and fits on a 8 inch wide wheel.
            You could always run a skinnier tire in the front...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              There's a BIG height difference in a 265/50 and a 275/60! 25.4 inches overall diameter versus 28.
              Originally posted by hav24wheel View Post
              Isnt a 265/50R15 shorter than the stock tire?
              Stock is between 26.8" and 27.4" calculated diameter, so yah, you betcha.

295/50 is about 26.6", so just under the height of the shortest factory tire. Back in '01 I chose a set of four 255/60s in part just because it's right at 27" (stock height, lots wider).

This has a tire height calculator, among other goodies: http://www.revlimiter.net/scca/calc.html

Comment

there is less fender lip room on the box town cars then there is on the grand marquis/crown vic.......my 225/60/16's rub on the right side fender lip molding on a hard turn.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

2 things:
                  1= A 265x50R15 will clear. I have a pair on steel 15x9 rims, zero offset, (from the junkyard, $50 for both rims AND tires) and ran them up front for a week. I never rubbed anything. In the rear, they cleared everywhere even with my 5/16" wheels spacers and the 15x9s. My question was whether the suspension in the front would put up with it for a long period of time. I checked my axle code and found a 3.08 gear in there. With regards to CheeseSteakJim, are your tires 255x60R15? If so, they are taller than the 265s, if only slightly, and I know they rub. 255x50R16s work fine on any Panther after 99, I ran them on my '99 Vic, and when the car was sold I gave them to a guy who runs them on an '02 TC.

2= I found a really nice set of LSC Turbines with brand new tires for $200, and I was thinking of running those instead, because I think they would look a little bit classier on a Town Car. Thoughts, anyone?

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

Comment

gadget and i run 16" lsc turbines on our town cars........the handling is greatly improved, especially if you get h or v rated tires..........200 for wheels and new tires is a steal......you will need 1" hubentric spacers btw

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Eh, I'm not too keen on big wheel spacers, mostly cause I don't know where to get them. I don't buy anything if it's not from a junkyard or an auto parts store.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLincoln View Post
                        With regards to CheeseSteakJim, are your tires 255x60R15? If so, they are taller than the 265s, if only slightly
                        Grrr, doesn't anyone listen to anything I say? A 255/60/15 is roughly an inch and a half taller than a 265/50/15.

You still haven't said what offset you have on the wheels you're intending to run, but if they're zero offset like the 15x9s you cite, the suspension should be happier with them than with a higher scrub-radius combo.

Personally, I look forward to seeing how this comes together!
                        Last edited by 1987cp; 08-28-2009, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLincoln View Post
                          With regards to CheeseSteakJim, are your tires 255x60R15?
                          255/50/17

Height isn't my problem. The width is the bigger issue. But I'll be damned if they don't look awesome under that car...

Comment

dont be afraid of ebaymotors and rockauto.com mang...........auto parts stores are pricey, junkyards dont always have what you need

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
                              But I'll be damned if they don't look awesome under that car...

Comment

Working...
                              X