Inner tie rod grease fittings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inner tie rod grease fittings?

Is there some specific thread-pitch for the grease fittings on an 87 CV inner tie rods?

The grease fittings that are currently there, well, I can't figure out how to get the grease-gun on them, as they point straight back - not enough clearance.

I was going to get a pair of fittings with a 90-degree bend, but didn't know what thread size the originals are - I *do* know that there are at least 2 different thread pitches available in the generic fittings bin I've seen.

Anyone know? Or, on the alternate side, is there some sort of extension for the grease-gun hose that has a very short 90-degree L-bend? I haven't been able to find anything like that, and wondered if such a thing exists.
    1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
    Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
    Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
    Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

The 90* ones will not fit.

There are adapter for the grease guns. I haven't seen too many good ones, the one Lincolnmania has is really nice though, think it's a matco or mac one. I bought one at TSC, and it's never worked
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

you can turn the wheel to move the inner tie rods to where you can access the fittings, provided you have a long flexible hose on your grease gun.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I found an adapter for my grease gun at work in a box of disused junk that had no purpose in the plant. Added a fitting to it so I could use it as needed.

Pitch may depend on the specific tie rod end. I'd pull one of the old fittings out and match it up.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can get a 45 or a 90 degree fitting to fit. I think I have the 45 degree in my 89. I have a box set of fittings that I got at Harbor Fright, it has different sizes as well as different thread pitches. You can get then at Auto Zone or Adv auto.
          89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Working...
          X