Another axle question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another axle question?

OK, I am working on getting the axle out of the 97 PI to put it in my 89 CV. The 97 has a alum. drive shaft. Should I get that to replace my steel shaft, or does it make any difference? How much of the parking brake cable should I get? I cut the brake lines well in front of the fittings and pulled the speedo gear. Is there anything else I should get?
    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

yes harvest the driveshaft! you will need a spicer S-134X conversion u joint for the trans end, you need to use the aod front yoke with the aero driveshaft
    get both the rear cables......separate them at the front cable

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The drive shaft was bent, they hit it with the fork lift. I have the axle out and it looks like it has new brakes and rotors, it still had the wheels on it so nothing is rusted really bad. It has only been in the yard for about a week before I found it. The tag has 3 L 27 on it, so It looks like I have the one I wanted. Now all I have to do is get my old one out and clean this on up and put it in.
      Since I don't have any books on the 97, what axle fluid and how much do I put in this one when I change it?
      89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Regular 80w90 with some LSD additive should be fine. Some folks like the synthetic stuff - this would be good if you plan to abuse it, synthetics hold up to heat better
        Just fill it up till it runs out of the fill hole
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Ok thanks, this also has anti-lock brakes. That doesn't matter does it? I plan on keeping this one for a long time , so I don't abuse it.

Comment

Nah, just pull the sensors out or cut the wires. They make no difference for you. Unless of course you want to try and do the first box ABS swap I know it must be possible, probably a lot of wiring and plumbing, but I see no good reason why it could not be done.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I will not be the first to go ABS. This is a locker rear end, don't I need a different type of gear oil for it other than just 80-90?

Comment

nah, gear oil is gear oil. Need the traction lock additive, but thats it.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OK, thanks.

Comment

I broke a wheel stud on the new axle. Do I have to pull the axle or just the rotor to replace the stud? Does the rotor just pull off or is there a trick to it.

Comment

Pull the caliper off, and the rotor just pops off as long as the e-brake is not engaged. If its sticking, it may have a ring of rust inside jamming it against the parking brake shoe or something. Give it a whack and it should let go.

No need to remove the axle to replace the stud. Just drive it out, insert the new one, and pull it in with an old lug nut. Don't use your normal lug nuts just in case it ruins it. I use crappy old ones from the junk drawer.

Comment

OK thanks. The rotor turns easy, I think it is just rusted. I will smack it and see what happens. I had to use BP Blaster on the wheel to get it off.

Comment

Working...
                        X