8.8 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.8 questions

I am looking to make my axle a POSI (locked, w/e you wanna call it). I am on a limited budget so I was thinking about running a spool. Problem is, the only spool you can get for the 28 spline is a mini spool, will that work?? Also will the second link work with a stock axle, its a Ford racing trac-lock kit? I didnt know they were so cheap.

Spool

Trac-Lok
    -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
    -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

the track loc is what ford put in everything at the factory...It's a limited slip differential. POSI is basically the same thing, but the GM version.

Any kind of spool is NOT FOR STREET USE. It locks the axles together so you don't have a differential anymore. driving on a slippery or wet road will mean disaster.

And also, check out the FAQ.... Nice long article about how diffs work in there.

For a limited budget, a junkyard trak-loc and a rebuild is cheap, about 150 bucks total if you can get the diff for 50 bucks. Rebuild kits are 80-120 bucks.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Do I need a rebuild kit, even if I bought a new trac-lok? And I know that spools are not for street use, but would it work
      -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
      -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Spools arent good for a dd. These axles arent quite stiff enough and tend to twist and unload while cornering. Trust me.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

EEEEEEEEHHH, Not a spool on the street
          Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
          Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
          Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
          Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 87DeuceVic View Post
            Do I need a rebuild kit, even if I bought a new trac-lok? And I know that spools are not for street use, but would it work
            Of course not, if you bought a new TL, it would be NEW.

As for the spool, do you want to wreck your car, break axles and stuff? If yes, get a spool. If not, do it right and get a decent diff.

Comment

Holy shit! That is cheap. Im here freaking going once a week to the junk yard looking for a damn "K" code rear end while Im going out of my mind! I havent even been able to find an "M,Z, ro E" code rear end. I think this option will help with my rage issues. Its much easier. So, If I go with the above mentioned "Ford Racing M-4204-F288." and a 3.73 gear that I buy, then I can use ANY 8.8 rear end from 83-91 if I dont care for disks, and 92-97 If I do want disks. Is this correct?
              sigpic

Comment

I bought a new TL from LateModel Resto Supply. New is best.

A spool makes for an uncomfortable feeling, in my experience.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

How can I put this. What is the range of years I can use to harvest a rear end? I know I can use one out of a 92-97 for disk brakes and 83-91 for non disk brakes. however, my car is an 82. whats the eariest I can go in years? I want to open up all my options and not make my search narrow. In my notes that I have made from this web site, I seem to not list anything before 1983 as an option based on responses from this site. I dont remember why. Please advise. Since Im going to go with the Ford Racing M-4204-F288, Im not going to worry about the codes or ratios. In a nutshell, What year rear end 8.8 is the best to use for my case?
                  sigpic

Comment

newer the better, just find a clean one that looks undamaged and use it. The age range you mentioned is correct. However, in 1990-1991, the axles changed and are wider from there on.

Comment

I'd stay with a 97 and older rear, just because the mounting points will be the same. The rear suspension changed in 1998, don't think they have the old style control arm mounts from that point onward. If you're not concerned about the housing, then anything will work, just remove the old gears and carrier and install what you want. If you run across some other code with a traction lock, feel free to yank the unit and install your own gears. Just keep in mind what you'll pay for a used one plus the rebuild kit, and your time to actually do it vs just sticking a new unit in there and calling it good.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When I order the Ford Racing M-4204-F288, will I have to specify a year? How about when I order the gears?
                        sigpic

Comment

Nop, 8.8s are 8.8s.... just make sure it's 28 spline.

Comment

What he said. Other than spline count, its all the same.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

28 spline axles right. How about the when I but the gear. make sure that has the 31 spline pinion????
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X