MRLTD *please* don't destroy me, ? after reading the FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRLTD *please* don't destroy me, ? after reading the FAQ

LOL, had a question I read the FAQ then a few other posts, from what I read in the FAQ, the suspension parts are all interchangeable from 1979-2002(maybe 06?), but then reading some other threads I saw some posts that contradicted that slightly so that's just why I wanted clarification. Will the suspension parts from the whales fit on my 79, rear disk brakes, etc.? Simple yes or no and then I can let this topic die without being destroyed
    Martin C Ingenbrandt IV

2006 Ford Harley Davidson F-150 - Truck Norris
    2004 Mercury Marauder Trilogy #33 - Zombierauder
    1979 Ford LTD - Betsy

What posts were contradictory? I would like to know so I can fix that.

1995-2002 disc brakes parts swap.
    1995-1997 front brakes aren't desirable, rears are fine.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

nothing in your post. your post told me that they were interchangeable, some others posts said that parts wouldn't swap, that's all. Your post was top notch.
      Martin C Ingenbrandt IV

2006 Ford Harley Davidson F-150 - Truck Norris
      2004 Mercury Marauder Trilogy #33 - Zombierauder
      1979 Ford LTD - Betsy

Comment

something is different about the 79's suspension.......i've never seen one, so i dont know exactly what it is.
        what u want big brake parts recipie?
        96-02 lower balls
        92-94 upper arms and upper ball joints
        96-02 spindles
        98-02 hub bearings, rotors, calipers, brackets
        98-02 front brake hoses with traction control for the left hose

for rear discs, the 92-97 stuff is what you need.....just remember the yr of the car you harvested the rear disc stuff from

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I know there are different tie rod ends for 79-82, and then 82 onward. Not sure what the difference is exactly, but there may be some other stuff slightly different on earlier models.

The rear suspension changed quite a bit in 1998, and as far as I know its not been proven that 98+ rear discs can be made to work on older models. They might work just fine, but I don't think anyone has attempted it. The 79 also has an 8" rear, so its possible the rear backing plates bolt up a little different than later models. I doubt it, but it is possible.

Also, off-topic bs has been removed from this thread. Please keep the unhelpful comments out of the tech section ktnx.
          Last edited by gadget73; 05-06-2009, 11:28 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X