Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

converting to disk brakes in the back....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

converting to disk brakes in the back....

i have a 91 box and i'm considering swapping out the rear end someday from a newer 92-97 merc. My questions are:
    -how much wider is this rear end... how much more will my wheels stick out?
    -will i need 16" wheels, or will the 15" fit the brakes?
    -can u upgrade to the bigger disks in the front easily also?

thanks again, andy
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

I have never done either...but to answer your question to the best of my knowledge:

I think you get like a 1" wider stance?? not sure.

I believe you can use 15" wheels, because as far as i know rotors in the rear are always smaller.

You have to change upper control arms, brake lines, hubs, calipers...and brackets, lower tie rod....and probably other stuff (again going off of memory and never doing it myself) but the thing i know for sure is that if you do big brakes up front yo will need 16" wheels.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

This has been answered many times. Please use the search
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
        i have a 91 box and i'm considering swapping out the rear end someday from a newer 92-97 merc. My questions are:
        -how much wider is this rear end... how much more will my wheels stick out?
        -will i need 16" wheels, or will the 15" fit the brakes?
        -can u upgrade to the bigger disks in the front easily also?

thanks again, andy
        rear discs are fairly easy. you can either bolt the rear disc stuff on your exsisting rear end or swap an entire disc rear in the car. 15" wheels work fine as the rear discs are not large and the caliper is not huge. some of the later model axles are slightly longer, but I doubt you will notice any difference. find a rear disc rear end from any 91-94 town car and it will bolt in. 92-94 CV/GM rear end will bolt in also.

98-2002 Front big brake swap is slightly more complicated and REQUIRES 16" wheels to clear the larger front brake rotor and dual piston brake caliper.

Like Mike said, its been covered numerous times and several members on here have done the swap(s) including myself.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Overall you get about an inch wider rear track. Not significant, but it actually should make the car look a little better. If you notice, the stock box track width up front is wider than the rear, so making things wider in the back will probably even it up. 15" clears rear disc, it does NOT clear large front brakes.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok perfect, exactly what i wanted to know. I think i will just bolt on rear disk stuff, and leave the front as is. with the new wheels and 275's in the rear i'll be maxed on width anyways.

thanks for the help, andy
            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

well, if you keep your existing axle and do rear disc, the track width has no change. If you swap the entire rear axle assembly out of a later car, it gets wider. Its the housing and the axle shaft itself that is longer on a later model. The brake disc itself is probably not much, if any, thicker than the drum.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you will need 15's as a minimum with disks in the back. i have 14's but need spacers to clear the calipers. its not that much wider, if i recal correctly. it just bolts right up, just need to rebend the lines to get them to match up correctly.
                What happened here?

Comment

Working...
                X