Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can do this yourself, but you will need some tools
    it can be done cheaply if you use used gears and trac lock
    lets run down the cheap road......this path requires tools and time (time is money people lol)
    used 3.73 gears.......they came in explorers and rangers.......usually 50 tops at the self serve places
    trac lock from a 28 spline 8.8 rear......usually 50 tops at the self serve places
    bearings and seals.......around 130 for all
    trac lock rebuild kit......around 70 bucks
    gear oil 20 bucks for 2 qts of synthetic

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Difference between installing a 3.73 open and a 3.73 traction lock is the cost of the traction lock unit itself. There really isn't any significant difference otherwise. It takes the same work to install an assembled traction lock as it does to install an open carrier, so theres no labor atvantage. The thing is though, if you pay someone to do an open rear, then decide to have a traction lock done later it will end up costing you twice for the job.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Excellent point ... if you're looking at a grand, an extra $200-250 for a brand new Ford Racing trak-lok isn't a huge amount more. I got one used for $75, but had to obtain two extra clutches for the eight-clutch mod separately, and I'm still shopping for the gears I want to install along with it (I'm allergic to the idea of figuring it all out and getting covered in gear lube, only to go through it all again a year or two later). The slight shock for me was that I apparently have to buy a $30 shim kit to make sure all the gears are oriented correctly when the new center goes in.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

shims come with the bearing kit for the center section mikey

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well, it was some sort of kit that I hadn't counted on having to spend extra money on. Therefore, my new center is still just sitting in the basement!

Comment

hmm well i though it costed more for labour with posi... substancially more. but i never actually new, so i see that it looks like a one shot deal with posi is the way to go instead of two seperate jobs.

thanks, andy
              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I could see probably an hour or two labor charge at $50-$100US per hour if you're having an old Trak-Lok rebuilt, plus maybe $100-$150US parts unless the shop is gouging you. If you buy a new or known good one, the only difference in installation should be just getting the S-spring back in there. Supposing $200US plus $100US in parts to rebuild an old Trak-Lok that you'll spend up to $100US acquiring in the first place, it'd be cheaper spending about $250US on a brand-new unit from Ford Racing.

Comment

Working...
                X