cost for getting 3.73's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cost for getting 3.73's ?

i have a 91 merc with open 2.73's and i'm looking to get open 3.73's. What do you think it would cost about for the parts, and then the labour? I don't have the gears or any parts by the way. and i'm going to buy all new also.

thanks andy
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

I think it cost me about $1K to have ford do it for me
    What happened here?

Comment

new trac lock, new 3.73 gears, new bearings and seals, gear oil, and labor runs around 900 bucks with me

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I also recommend getting an aluminum driveshaft while you are at it.
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
          new trac lock, new 3.73 gears, new bearings and seals, gear oil, and labor runs around 900 bucks with me
          I had Scottmang do 3.73s and a trac lok in mine. He is the man. The gears were used, but I had bought a new trac lok unit. Very happy with the results.

I did not get an aluminum driveshaft (although I thought I'd need it). I have had no issus with vibration, although numerous others have.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

It really costs that much for parts and labor for a gear install? Holy crap. I made a 70 dollar profit putting mine in.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
              It really costs that much for parts and labor for a gear install? Holy crap. I made a 70 dollar profit putting mine in.
              Doing it correctly takes hours to do, especially if you are a n00b. I have seen that a lot goes into aligning everything properly. It is really essential to get it correct.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I know doing it correctly an take hours to do sometimes, just never had to pay anyone to do it for me. I know a lot about shimming gears. After doing a volvo penta drive, a car axle is cake.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

id love to put some gears in my car but about $400 for the install plus another $300 into the gears just isnt do-able right now. might get into it over the summer. rear gears just isnt my thing

i was the 8.8 was set up like the 8'' and 9'' where the center section just unbolts off the housing and i could just swap the pumpkins
                  1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

hmm thanks, haha. student wage won't let me get that till the end of summerish... but looks like i'll be set back 700 bucks or so in the end if i go with the open rear for now... better to get a good job done on open rear then cheep job on posi i guess, haha.

thanks guys, andy
                    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Labor is free if you do it at home ...
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I would not suggest doing a 3.73 open rear. It will wheelspin like a mofo, unless of course thats your goal If you're worried about snow manners, I find that panthers with a traction lock behave much better than open rear cars, and aren't as easy to get stuck. My Mark VII is absolutely awful, 3.27 open rear.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

x2

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

trust me, I want 3.73 trac lock baddd.

but i'm 17, and in Canada so double $$$ for anything it seems... and every penny i make goes into this car, and has to stretch a long ways (but doing things rite), and all those pennys will only get me 3.73 open. and with 275/60/15's going in a month, i would much prefer that rear end vs my 2.73 open. still will take me until august to save the $

but... i'll be into a co-op in a year (10 Grand), and then the track lock will be going in, and a ton of other stuff, but until then...

Comment

$900!! It would be easier to find a whole track lok rear end than doing the swap
                              R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                              Originally posted by MeanVic84
                              Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X