gradually deteriorating ride quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gradually deteriorating ride quality

I have been noticing it for a while now....I can really feel every crag and crack in the road now and the cornering ability has left the building. I don't understand why when my shocks are Monroe and less than 3 years old and I have cargo coils in the rear, and 2005 mustang 17 wheels with stock 235/60/R17 tires. What component should I address first on?? any suggestions?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar View Post
    I have been noticing it for a while now....I can really feel every crag and crack in the road now and the cornering ability has left the building. I don't understand why when my shocks are Monroe and less than 3 years old and I have cargo coils in the rear, and 2005 mustang 17 wheels with stock 235/60/R17 tires. What component should I address first on?? any suggestions?
    Problem #1: Those tires you have? Shit them out, and buy a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires. Yes, the cost is substantial, but the tires are that good, and actually last for a while. The stock crap that consists of the OEM tires is absolute garbage in comparison.

Problem #2: Rear cargo coils. The Lincoln had specific coil springs in the rear, to provide a fairly soft ride. They are there for a reason.

Problem #3: Take the monroes off, and throw them as far away as you possibly can. Then, put a set of non-police KYB shocks on it, front and rear. If you don't mind a slightly firmer ride, and want some handling back, get the 'Police' spec. I never complained about the ride of the 'police' shocks, but marveled at the handling improvements....and I'm quite possibly the most picky bastard ever to set foot in GMN....short of Dean.

Possible problem #1: You might need to replace all of the suspension bushings.....

So far as what I would do first?

Lose the Monroes.

Comment

I'm going to agree with everything Larry said.

There are different grades of Monroe shocks too, there are decent ones and cheap ones that don't hold up. I'm also a fan of the KYBs, I've had a set on my Towncar for 3+ years now. I'm also back to all stock replacement Lincoln springs, primarily for the ride reasons. The cargo coils also didn't hold up well, and I had to run a lot of air in the rear air shocks to keep the car level.

I have all new poly bushings in my car too. It did firm up the ride somewhat, but the bushings have broken in and I've gotten used to it. It doesn't feel like a stock Lincoln anymore, but its far from being unpleasent in my opinion. The car also handles and drives amazingly well.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I agree with them two. I don't like the kyb's as they aren't stiff enough for me but they are a great shocks. Your car sagging any at all? Go to each fender of your car and make it bounce as much as you can. If it bounces more than twice and ideally once your shocks are done.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

What about Bilsteins?

I just ordered Bilstein heavy-duty shocks for the woody. Not on yet, hope they won't be too stiff, but my daily driver is a diesel E320 with factory Bilsteins and I just love the way that car will sit down and run where other cars lose composure.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            I'm going to agree with everything Larry said.

There are different grades of Monroe shocks too, there are decent ones and cheap ones that don't hold up. I'm also a fan of the KYBs, I've had a set on my Towncar for 3+ years now. I'm also back to all stock replacement Lincoln springs, primarily for the ride reasons. The cargo coils also didn't hold up well, and I had to run a lot of air in the rear air shocks to keep the car level.

I have all new poly bushings in my car too. It did firm up the ride somewhat, but the bushings have broken in and I've gotten used to it. It doesn't feel like a stock Lincoln anymore, but its far from being unpleasent in my opinion. The car also handles and drives amazingly well.
            Have been VERY happy with KYB GR-2 police spec shocks. highly recommended
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
            X