Measuring Wheel/Tire Clearances.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measuring Wheel/Tire Clearances.

I got a truck that's equipped with factory 16.5" wheels (unsure of the width)with P235 85R16 tires. I want to get some 16x8" wheels and P285 75R16 off-road tires. The difference between the factory tires and the aftermarket off-road tires is 2" in width and 2" in diameter. I'm thinking of getting a couple pieces of 1" scrap wood or steel and sticking a ruler on them that would protrude 1" into the wheelwell on each side of the wheel. I am thinking that would similate the difference between the two different tire sizes that way I could turn the wheel and see if anything hits. The truck has beefed up springs and suspension travel is at a minimum. Is this a good method of measuring clearances or is there a better way?

Packman

Post pics of the vehicle and where you think itll rub and I will tell you if they will fit. Ive got a great eyeball for that shit. 16.5 rims means it should be 3/4 ton or better. You shouldn't have many issues. Post up a pic or just tell me what it is.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I'll get some film for my camera tonight and shoot some pics tomorrow morning.

Packman

Comment

Film? How 1990s
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X