Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gears- 2.73- 3.73.... acceleration gain (0-60 time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do panthers have the smae 8.8 rear thats in everything else? as far as the purpose of ordering gears and a posi unit?
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

If you want only the gears you might need the info I posted on splines & pinion size, I'm not sure. Otherwise it's an 8.8" & 10 bolts.

Comment

Good luck finding aftermarket axles for a panther, folks. The mustang ones will NOT work. You will need custom length axles. Plus, that kit doesn't include them anyways.

Also, that other axle is NOT a panther axle. It's for a mustang, it won't work. Well, anything's possible with a mig welder, but it sure as hell won't bolt in...

RunUOver, there's a great shop up in PA for you to get your gears installed. PM lincolnmania (Scott), he's done loads of gearswaps for members.
        Last edited by Grand Marquis GT; 12-11-2008, 02:13 PM.
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

As far as custom axles go, the only remotely close would be for an f series. I havent done enough measure and what not to be sure and the bolt pattern is wrong.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Yeah

I had my doubts on the Mustang axle, but on the first site I selected it by MGM year & model and seems to be customized to it, is it not ?

Comment

That first one is just gears, bearings and a limited slip. It's not a complete axle assembly and it does not come with axles.

Save time and money when you buy an Accu Axle Rebuild Kit. Take the guesswork out of buying parts to fix or upgrade your assembly. This kit replaces everything but the axleshafts! New internal parts including ring and pinion, limited-slip posi differential, and a master installation kit. This has all hardware required for complete installation including shims, bearings, races and pinion seal. Axleshafts, axleshaft bearings & axleshaft seals not included, and should be purchased separately.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The gear install kit is identical from a Mustang to anything else that uses the 8.8. The actual housing and the axle length is whats different. The vast majority of us do not need anything beyond what the stock axle will handle anyway. I have two brand new Dorman stock axle replacements slated to go in my car in a week or so. The pair of axles ran me $220 shipped.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What spline is a stock panther axle, cause all the gear sets I have looked at are for 31-spline. Will that fit??
                  -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                  -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

the gears dont have splines........the traction lock does

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                    X