Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gears- 2.73- 3.73.... acceleration gain (0-60 time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    ummm... burnouts will be a LOT easier with 3.73's....
    I will second that. I can powerbrake it from second gear...

Originally posted by Nascarboatnerd View Post
    Ive heard that 3.73s and 4.10s are bad on Panthers due to the driveshaft being so long, the RPMS make it shakes and messes seals up.
    I have no problems with vibrations.

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
    you need to switch to the aluminum driveshaft if you dont already have it.
    The smaller rotating mass is beneficial, but I have had no issues with my factory driveshaft.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

i have no complaints about my stock driveshaft either.......i can feel a vibration over 85 mph but town car aluminum driveshafts are made of unobtanium

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I have had mine way over 100 already, and there is still no thrumming...
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

awasome!

thanks guys, it all sounds good. Hopefully the gears will be going in after i buy the new rims and tires in march.

andy
          Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
          HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Sorry to thread jack, but I recently "fell" into a "K" code to replace my 2:73 open, basically I was looking for the tracloc to help some with the winter traction, and the 3:55's to keep the lo-po from feeling like such a slug on freeway entrance ramps and such. Is the gear ratio difference going to literally kill my mileage? 2 to 3 mpg won't hurt my feelings any.

It's out of a high mileage car, so Ima throw a set of bearings in it before the install.

I don't care about 0-60 times, I'm not a racer.
            People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Shouldn't hurt it too much. Ive never run one in a lopo car though.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

i really want to get some gears put in my car. after driving it for a while i know it would wake right up off the line with something a little deeper
                1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

if anyone is in the MN/WI area and wants to see how a 3.73 drives let me know
                  What happened here?

Comment

Hello,

I had this run by so many people, I am thinking of doing it myself, what would I need for a clean rear axle swap if I am no mechanic ? My first self made oil change failed due to worn out threading on the pan/plug. :p However tune up, with a little more help, was a witch but completed. Anyways, here's the specs I dug up if anyone needs some; my question is: What rear axle numbers do I need to look for at junkyard, to make sure I am getting: 1) Positraction (both wheels spinning), 2) 3.73:1 gears and is 8.8", 3) fits the 63.4" spec. tracking (length/width), 4) not in the least cracked, broken or leaking ??? Thanks.

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                    Fuel Economy (city / hwy): 17 / 24 mpg
                    Rear-Wheel Drive
                    Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive
                    Engine Specifications: 5.0L 150hp V8(4.942L 302cu.in.)
                    Horsepower: 150
                    Torque (lb-ft): 270
                    Valves/Valve Configuration: 2 valves/cyl.
                    Displacement (cc) 4950
                    Bore X Stroke (in.) 4.00 X 3.00
                    Compression Ratio 8.9:1
                    Fuel Type/System No data/MPFI
                    Timing Setup - 10 deg. off dead center
                    Turbocharger No
                    Supercharger No
                    R - H
                    S - N/A
                    AX - 8
                    Other - TGCDD
                    AXLE INFO REAR - FORD 8.8" - 28 SPLINE AXLES
                    AXLE POSITION REAR
                    PINION TYPE STANDARD
                    COVER BOLTS 10.0
                    AXLE SPLINE COUNT 28.0
                    RATIO TO USE LOW RATIO CASE N/A
                    RING GEAR DIAMETER 8.8
                    PINION SHAFT DIAMETER 1.63
                    RING GEAR BOLT QTY - SIZE 10 - 7/16in x 20 thread
                    PINION SPLINES 30.0
                    TRACKS - 63.4"
                    Last edited by Cyberats; 12-10-2008, 02:15 AM.

Comment

you could just buy new gears and a posi unit for a 8.8 and have it installed. if tune ups and oil changes are giving you trouble though you might want to look around a good shop to do this for you
                      1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

i swapped a rear axle out of a 1996 panther. the new cars have disc brakes. just rebent some new brake lines on it. but the gears were shot and the posi is slipping. it could be just as cheap to rebuild your rear axle. with a used rear you really have no idea what you are getting
                        What happened here?

Comment

do the newer generation panther rears bolt right up that easy?
                          1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Up through 97 yes they do. They are a hair wider though.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS
                            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

just make sure that if you do get one used that the gears arent shot and rebuild the posi if it has one. I made that mistake the hard way, had to buy all new gears fuckin expensive to have it replaced. but you get disk brakes all around which is a nice upgrade.
                              What happened here?

Comment

Swap

Yeah thanks, I saw a kit selling for $610 complete with axles:

or this one for $1000 delivered but does not say positraction:
                                Performance Automotive Parts from Accel Billet Edelbrock MSD VDO. JEGS is the source for performance parts with Same Day Shipping.

Like always it was my bad luck and assuming nothing can go wrong with oil change, not prepared to replace the plug. I can take things apart given time, putting them back together the way it was, WILL be a problem when you're not a mechanic.
                                I guess if I get the budget in the future I'll do it the painless way. :p

Comment

Working...
                                X