Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gears- 2.73- 3.73.... acceleration gain (0-60 time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gears- 2.73- 3.73.... acceleration gain (0-60 time)

Well, my 0-60 time in my merc is 12 seconds, lol, its stock by the way...for now. I'm looking at adding new gears changing to the 3.73's to help out my acceleration (best bang for your buck i hear). And in average city and a little highway driving, mpg go up a little with the heavy cars to boot.

my question is, what would this gear change do to my 0-60 time. I have no idea and i'm looking for a ballpark idea of what new gears could do.

thanks for all the help lately, andy
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

I dunno about 0-60 times, i never clocked it, but it had the same 2.73 rear and switched to a 3.73 and had to change my pants at the same time. it will supprise people how fast your car is. expect a healthy drop in mpg but with careful driving 23's are still possible. that means no tire smoke and no WOT accelerations. I'm happy with my switch. also expect burnouts to be a lot harder to do as well, but smoking the hides does not help 0-60 times
    What happened here?

Comment

lol, i got lots of pants so i like to hear that. Harder burnouts- a con, but that busness about going though pants is definently a pro, haha. If you absolutely HAD to guess, what would the new 0-60 time be from stock 12 sec to the new 3.73's? or quarter mile time decrease, just lookin for a measurable guage thats all.

andy
      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

i honestly dont have a clue, its just too much fun to mash the gas and go baby go! if i HAD to guess, maybe 9 seconds, but tire size will also factor in. im running smaller than most, a 235/65/14 on all four corners. also remember to pick up the correct spedo gear for your tire and axle combo to keep your speedo and odo reading correctly
        What happened here?

Comment

forgot to add that dual exhaust, a posi, and doing the tranny shuffle will all help decrease that time
          What happened here?

Comment

9-10secs 0-60 with the wind in your ass..

unfortunately your 1/4 mile will still be somewhat embarrassing... I'm not saying that to be an asshole either.
            Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

embarrassing =close to 18 secs.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

A .9 second drop in the quarter mile is possible. There are several variables that can affect the drop. Power band of the engine, tire diameter, traction, transmission slipage,
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

it feels good in the butt dyno

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thanks allot, i'm also bumping up the rear tires from 27" to 28" which will bring the ratio back to about the same as 3.55's with my stock tires, from what i've seen. This will help with the (embarrasing) quarter mile time, lol. It sounds like a good balence for a car with not the best high rpm hp. Thanks allot guys, i've got a good picture of what the gears will do and i like it.

andy

Comment

ummm... burnouts will be a LOT easier with 3.73's....
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        ummm... burnouts will be a LOT easier with 3.73's....
                        you are correct sir, dunno what I was thinking last night. pain killers and a loooong day at work will do that to me. I was thinking that I had my current tires on with my 2.73 when in reality i had some crappy fleet farm road runners on.
                        What happened here?

Comment

with my 2.73 gearing i ran a 18.3 so it should be faster than that
                          sigpic
                          1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

Ive heard that 3.73s and 4.10s are bad on Panthers due to the driveshaft being so long, the RPMS make it shakes and messes seals up.
                            [SIGPIC]

Comment

you need to switch to the aluminum driveshaft if you dont already have it.
                              What happened here?

Comment

Working...
                              X