No announcement yet.

Rear disc conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YAY!!!!! another 3.73 car! you will LOVE having a 3.73 in the rear. they go like a bat out of hell. I wouldnt change my 3.73 for anything in the world...ok, except for maybe a 4.10
    What happened here?

Comment

COOL!! I like this true-trac idea. Do you think it would be hard to find in the junk yard??? Any years/makes/models to look out for?? Stay between 92-97 right?
      Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
      Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
      Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
      Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
      sigpic

Comment

true-tracs are aftermarket. The chances of finding one in the junkyard is about zero.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How bout the OE that Ford supplied?
          sigpic

Comment

those appear, station wagons with tow packages are probably your best bet. Not very common in aeros. You also find them in some Mark VII and Tbirds. 8.8 car traction locks are all the same. Truck ones don't work because they're 31 spline.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok, I did some good rerearch on reading the metal axle tag. I dont want to risk having to rely on the paper one. I gathered info from this very site of course. Just so Im sure and I dont make a mistakes when im in the junk yard: I need a rear end out of any panther that is 92-97. The tag should read 8.8 and whatever the gear is there should be an "L." such as: 3L08 or 2L73. The ratio shouldnt matter bacause Im putting new 3.73's in it. Did I cover it all??? Will I be able to keep all the OE Ford traction lock when the shop puts in the 3.73's ??? and does the Ford track lock need wear out items to be replaced while Im get the rear end rebuilt???
              sigpic

Comment

yes
                yes
                yes, it has clutches that wear out. I suggest the carbon kit, they are 110 bucks.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

THANKS

Carbon kit huh?? Wow, It even sounds cool. Im sooooo doing it. I have to finish my BBS first. Oh, Here is the progress. CHeck it out!!!! Except not I have all four Poly (red) bump stops.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok will my 84 drive shaft bolt right up to one of these newer rear ends? I found one with discs, 3.73, locker now I want it. The springs and every thing are also the same right?
                    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                    sigpic

Comment

your 84 drive shaft should bolt right up. that 3.73 is a fantastic number, flies like a bat outta hell and still does halfway decent on the highway. I have the same set up you are talking about, just make sure that the gears are not worn. that is pretty expensive to replace, been there, done that
                      What happened here?

Comment

Disregard above post. It might or might not. There are different flanges for the driveshaft. Springs yes, Shocks yes, brake lines no.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Brake lines no big deal. How did I know which flange I need. Take a pic of mine to the junkyard or is there an easier way.
                          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                          sigpic

Comment

measure the spacing of the bolts. I forget the two different possible spacings, but as long as the driveshaft and the rear has the same spacing, you're good. The flange isn't that big a deal to swap if needed.

Comment

If I find me an 8.8 in the bone yard, with any ratio as long as it has limited slip, all I would have to do is find another rear end with the disk set up to remove the backing plate and brakes from right?? That is if the one I pulled doesnt come with disks. also, take the left axle in case the right axle is bad? I dont care for the ratio because I having 3.73's put in when I hav it rebuilt.
                              sigpic

Comment

yes, but the axles that come in disc brake rears dont work in drum brake rear housings. They're a bit longer. If you're having your rear overhauled, just pop the traction lock out of a donor rear. You don't need the whole thing. The traction lock unit comes out fairly easily, much easier than the whole rear assembly and a hell of a lot lighter.

Comment

Working...
                                X