Rear disc conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear disc conversion

Is it as easy as getting the parts off a 1994 lincoln town car and taking everything off but the axle in the back and bolting on the new hubs. Then unscrewing the brake line and plugging it right into the calipers in the back?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Nope, axles HAVE to come out. That the only way to swap the backing plates.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
      Nope, axles HAVE to come out. That the only way to swap the backing plates.
      ghey......oh well.
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

SAME HERE!!!

Hey mang, after I’m done with my BBS and front suspension upgrade, I’m going to attack the whole rear disc conversion project. I’m gona do some digging in the stickies. Maybe we can touch base about what we come up with. Maybe some of the other members on the site can advise as well. I don’t have the slightest idea about what needs to be done or what the proper donor car is. If its anything like the BBS, Its gona take some research. Keep me posted. Thanks
        Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
        Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
        Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
        Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
        sigpic

Comment

easiest thing to do is take the entire rear end out of a 92-97 panther, bolt it in your chassis and connect the brake lines
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

thats what i did duce. WAY eaysier. just find one with a posi and the gear ratio that you want. then rebend some brake lines and you're done. actually, any cv, gm rear should work, mine is off a 97 cvpi
            What happened here?

Comment

Pulling the axles is not hard. Swapping the entire axle assembly isn't particularly hard either, and you get a smidge of extra track width. Late model axle shafts are cheaper too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I pulled two axles out of an 8.8 tonight in 15 minutes. Not hard, and shouldn't prevent you from doing the swap.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Cool

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                  easiest thing to do is take the entire rear end out of a 92-97 panther, bolt it in your chassis and connect the brake lines
                  I was thinking of doing what Duce said. Except I was gona drop it off on the way home to have it rebuilt and have some 3.73's put in it. Does that sound good?? Any Recommendations?
                  sigpic

Comment

not a bad idea. have the upper control arm bushings that are in the differential housing changed while its out. Regardless whether you go poly or not, they're a hell of a lot easier to do with the axle on the ground than in the car. Also have a traction lock stuck in there if you're going to do it. Peg-leg 3.73 is just silly.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok, so I need to by the 3.73 gear and the traction lock. Do i need to by anything else for the shop top use like the pinion or the carrier??? also, what traction loc do you recommend?
                      sigpic

Comment

the carrier gets replaced with the traction lock. regular Ford one is fine, but you're more than welcome to upgrade it to something better if you'd like. I don't know your driving needs, but the true-tracs are very nice. Probably more than most folks need though unless they tend to push the limits a bit more.

The pinion goes in the scrap bin with whatever ring gear is in there. Ring and pinions come as a matched set.

You'll also want a full set of bearings and seals, and possibly you'll need an axle. Sometimes the right side axle will be shot. Often the left one is good, so if you're going on the cheap, grab a left axle out of something else in the yard.

Comment

On a junk yard car whats the easiest way to see if it has a trac loc?
                          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                          sigpic

Comment

check the AX field on the door sticker. GoodSamaritan has the codes in his signature.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              check the AX field on the door sticker. GoodSamaritan has the codes in his signature.
                              If for whatever reason the door sticker isn't there, you're gonna need to get under the car and look for the tag bolted on one of the differential cover bolts. if there is an L present it is a trak lok rear. The numbers would be the gear ratio.
                              For example, the K code rear the 3.55, on the tag would actually look like this

3 L 55 and then a bunch of other numbers I would assume are production numbers. If there is no L present, it is not a trak lok rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X