K code axle swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K code axle swap

so I found the beloved axle of choice but I have a few questions. Do all K code axles have the bigger pinion flange or do just certain years? I just want to know if I should buy the driveshaft too. Also if I have 10" brakes and it has 11" will I have any problems with the brake proportioning? I am looking forward to having track lock but Its not much of a jump 3.27s-3.55s.
    1988 Crown Vic- 69k miles, bumped timing,HAI, dual exhaust with flows, bald tires
    GUN-IT RACING

'90+ should have the larger flange. If you're not sure, just get the driveshaft with it. They're only $12 at the local yard here.
    Brake proportioning shouldn't be an issue if I'm thinking clearly- I want to say they even use the same wheel cylinder.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

when i do the rear im probably gonna evaluate the fuel tank fuel lines and brake lines and do those over too. I would also like to paint and undercoat everything back there. Then she should be ready for the big boy stuff:3gears:
      1988 Crown Vic- 69k miles, bumped timing,HAI, dual exhaust with flows, bald tires
      GUN-IT RACING

Comment

If its a tow package car it will also have the larger pinion flange. If its coming out of a Ford or Mercury, just snag the driveshaft with it. If the donor is a Lincoln, they have longer driveshafts so don't bother.

Proportioning valve is not different on 11" vs 10" brake cars so you should be fine. I just verified that by the Ford shop manual. There are different ones wagon vs non-wagon but they have different fittings and won't interchange anyway.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

looking under the car tonight, it looks liek it shouldnt be too bad of a swap. I have a lift so i figure i will put the car on the lift and undo the brake lines cables shocks unbolt the driveshaft and compress the springs and remove em, lower the car to jackstand height put a hydraulic jack under the pumpkin and un bolt the control arms and lower the rear out of the car then just reverse process. but first I will probably put new gear oil in the rear and make sure the cover is sealed good, I dont want to do axle seals unless they are junk. I dont think i am missing anything am I?
          GUN-IT RACING

Comment

no need to compress the springs. Undo the lower shock mounts and you can usually pull them out. If it won't go, put a jack under one end of the axle and pull the spring out of the other side. It pivots the axle and gives you more room to get the coil out.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X