Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey guys, did I just fry my power steering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey guys, did I just fry my power steering?

so I ended up having to push my car pretty far the other day.
    [long story involving death of my battery.]

and the pressure on my power steering made a fair amount of fluid spurt out of the cap like normal [as I've been told]. I didn't think it was very much so I remained totally negligent and did nothing about it.

I drove around for a couple days afterward and on day two I started to smell something burning up then I realized it was the power steering pump.
    [why wouldn't the fluid have burned off the day before?]

any commentary?

boat boat boat.

I've had my pump almost dry, to the point where I would be able to see its guts if it weren't for the plastic tank - never killed nothing, bitch still works like a champ. How do you know tis the pump that smells? Are you sure something else didn't happen, like a valve cover springing a oil leak onto the exhaust manifold? Maybe tis just a coincidence?

Comment

no you didnt kill it
      when you turn the wheel with the engine off the ps pump on fords piss fluid all over the place......i had my 84 vic catch on fire once when it stalled around a turn and it pissed all over.....had some baking soda in the car that put it out.......fill the ps resoivor and wipe it down and you are good

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thank you scott. :]

boat boat boat.

Comment

told ya! lol Also you can spray the manifolds with some carb cleaner to wash the shit off, obviously do so with the engine cold, else you may end up like me without eybrows (damn Chevelle, lol)

Comment

i thought i blew a line when this 1st happened to me till i saw the cap half off lol
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

yeah, stupid ford pumps and their puking fluid when not under power. Won't hurt anything, just makes a mess.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah but driving it around without enough fluid does.
                it smelled like it was burning up preettttyyyy bad.

but it's okay now.

boat boat boat.

Comment

Like I was saying, I've had mine low to the point it was cavitating so bad I was losing steering assist, yet the darn thing still works fine. Hell, wish my diesel PS is that strong, there ain't no way in hell I turn its wheel with one hand, whereas the Townie I can maneuver with just a pinky!

Comment

thats more the steering box than the pump. the stock ones have dinky torsion bars inside them. my car is a lot stiffer with it's original pump and the late model steering box. Its not unreasonable but its not pinky steering either.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X