3.73 gears installed today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.73 gears installed today

welp, just giving an update i guess. got yukon 3.73 gears installed today. i'm comfortable doing a lot of work, but ring and pinion just scares me. discount is HUGE when you only gotta do 1 axle! (i'm used to 4x4's). i strongly considered 4.10's, but i am building this wagon for towing. 70 mph in drive with 4.10's just ran a higher rpm than i wanted.

anyhow, with 200,000 miles on the factory tired motor, i can powerbrake with no issues now.

all new seals and bearings in the rear axle as well. now i need to figure out the right speedo gear for it. planning on replacing the speedo cable at the same time as it squeaks and drives me CRAZY!

next on the list is u-joints and start looking at rebuilding the motor.

oh, and so far i've got all the windows working, door locks working, AC working, and replaced the stereo so i have some tunes. lots more work to go but having a good time!
    1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

nice upgrade!

how far are you from VA??Im trying to get a Richmond meet together...
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Probably need the purple gear if I had to guess. You'd need to know how many driven teeth are in the transmission. Nobody actually knows that, so usually you have to figure it out based on the original rear gears and original speedo gear and then go from there.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
        nice upgrade!

how far are you from VA??Im trying to get a Richmond meet together...
        good question, not really sure how far from VA I am, however the wagon isn't up for any long road trips until I get the motor rebuilt. Just don't trust it for anything longer than my commute right now. Soon as I get that done I'm ready for a road trip!
        1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Probably need the purple gear if I had to guess. You'd need to know how many driven teeth are in the transmission. Nobody actually knows that, so usually you have to figure it out based on the original rear gears and original speedo gear and then go from there.

http://www.sccoa.com/faq/speedgr.html
          is the purple one the 21 tooth? I'd looked at some speedo gear calculators and believe I have an 8 tooth drive gear, so I was gonna pick up a 21 tooth driven gear. Thanks for the link though!

Comment

purple is the 21 yes.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

3.73s?
              SWEEET!
              congrats mang...you won't regret it.
              I know I don't.
              sigpic
              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by JD's Toy View Post
                is the purple one the 21 tooth? I'd looked at some speedo gear calculators and believe I have an 8 tooth drive gear, so I was gonna pick up a 21 tooth driven gear. Thanks for the link though!
                Let me know if you need a purple gear for sure ... Ford dealer made me get a 2-pack ... it was only like $4.50 for the 2-pack, so I can part with the extra one for cheap.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

whoops - I thought I read NC not SC... you're probably a pretty long haul from here.
                  If you do make it up here though... bring fireworks!!!!!
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                  X