Tires 'n Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires 'n Wheels

So if I have 15x8 wheels, how wide can I go with tires without having any issues like rubbing around turns or a ton of sidewall buldge?

255/60?
    265/60?

-Colin
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

255......dont think they make 265's.........stop wasting your money on 15" tires and go for 16" or 17"

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

+1 If you go with 16's you can get tires with stiffer and slightly shorter sidewalls for better handling. If you still want RWL tires then you may need to go with truck tires.

Also the largest recommended size for tires on a 15x7 wheel is 255, any wider and you'd get too much sidewall bend in turns. I hope that helps you some. Also if you find a good handling RWL tires that fits a 15x8 wheel let me know, i'm lookin for 15x8 454SS wheels for my truck for summer wheels and when I get them i'd like decent handling tires for it.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I thought about 16s but I want the RWL tires. without having to get really tall ones.
        If I got 16s I could only get Firestone Firehawks...good tires, but it narrows my options.
        sigpic
        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

them raised white letters dont make it handle......only crappy tires these days come in raised white letters in car sizes

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well, Panthers are big cars so get some RWL truck tires You can get the shortest and widest truck tires available, probably better then any other option since you want good handling.

Comment

truck tires don't handle well either. They just have high load ratings.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Friend of mine has an 89 C1500 stock except the exhaust like mine. His truck has light truck tires and mine has passenger tires. His don't bend in the sidewalls on the corners like mine do so cornering is more stable for his truck thn mine.

Truck tires don't handle well compared to performance tires but on a heavy car they're a better option then all season passenger tires. Not a big difference but noticable from my experience.

Comment

But RWL just looks so damn good!

Do the Murph thing. 255's in back 235's up front.
                  1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                  1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                  1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

you guys do realize that you can get white tire paint so you can fill in your own lettering. BTW sacfiricing performance for something just cause it looks good is rice
                    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

16s and 17s have better options for sizes nowadays. Not to mention with all that power you should be upgrading the brakes, and that requires 16" or larger wheels.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

275's in the back, 225's in the front...
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                          you guys do realize that you can get white tire paint so you can fill in your own lettering. BTW sacfiricing performance for something just cause it looks good is rice
                          Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                          16s and 17s have better options for sizes nowadays. Not to mention with all that power you should be upgrading the brakes, and that requires 16" or larger wheels.
                          +1

Comment

255/60's on an 8" wheel wouldnt fit inside the front fenders on my lincoln...would need serious lip rolling to clear the bulging sidewalls. Ask Ray what the sidewalls look like

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

ah..ok.

so I could make the rear tires wider but on the front I better not go beyond 235s.

well..I got 225/70/15s for my winter wheels but those are going on the chrome wheels anyway since Chargers are getting bald.

I agree Murph..they kick ass!

yea Duce...I could do that...if my name were Hillbilly colin, maybe then lol
                              sigpic
                              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X