Sway bar bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sway bar bushings

I just replaced my disgusting old rubber endlink bushings with nice polyurethane ones through my job at CarQuest. Since CarQuest does not sell polyurethane frame bushings for the sway bar, I want to get some from Energy Suspension. My friend insists that by combining the ES frame bushings with the CarQuest endlink bushings, I'll have the two working against eachother and it will end up breaking something. This makes no Goddamn sense to me whatsoever as long as the bushings are the same as the stock ones (except polyurethane instead of rubber), so I figured I'd ask you guys.

there isn't any point in spending the money for ES when most replacements now are all poly and cost half as much.

regardless of material they will be transferring forces to each other. that's the way the bar works.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

What do you mean most are poly? My job only stocks Panther bushings made of rubber. So does Summit. They're made by Moog. I had to special order the "Heavy Duty" endlinks in order to get the polyurethane bushings. Our sway bar frame bushings are also made of rubber, though our Energy Suspension catalog lists polyurethane front sway bar mounts for 92-97 Panthers.

And the ES bushings for the front sway bar are $15 a pair through my job, which is what I paid for the two endlinks, so it's not really like it's a gigantic waste of money.

I know how the bar works... which is why this whole thing about having endlinks made by Moog and frame mounts made by ES breaking the swaybar (or endlinks) sounds like a load of bull to me. I don't really understand how they could "work against eachother", as my friend seems to insist. I could be missing something here, but does that make any sense to anyone else? Has anyone ever had such a thing happen?

Comment

Most of the replacement ones are a hard thermoplastic, basically polyurathane material.

Mixing the materials won't break anything. Your friend is a moron. I've been running new rubber frame bushings and ES poly end links for over 2 years now without problems.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, uh, I wouldn't exactly call him a moron... but yeah I'm glad to hear I wasn't the one who was wrong.

Thanks dudes.

Comment

advance sells em.... I ran em on my stock bar and they are still on there.

Only reason I have ES ones now is the Addco bar....

Comment

trw swaybar bushings are thermoplastic.......u sure carquest dont have a thermoplastic option.......moog is overpriced.......can get 2 trw parts for the price of one moog part

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

TRW is actually what Ford put on there at the factory. NOS ball joints and stuff have TRW on the booties.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                  trw swaybar bushings are thermoplastic.......u sure carquest dont have a thermoplastic option.......moog is overpriced.......can get 2 trw parts for the price of one moog part
                  All our chassis stuff is Moog. I checked through all the catalogs for a CarQuest frame bushing for my car that and the only one we listed was a rubber one. Maybe we can't get them because we're a jobber store, but I dunno... I don't think CarQuest stocks them.

Comment

Wierd...

Might want to go somewhere else.... mine were very cheap. And they work great. No wear after all the beating I put on them. I'm still running the endlinks.

Comment

Working...
                    X