Purple Smoke, and not the good kind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purple Smoke, and not the good kind...

Comming home on the highway the other day my buddy said there was alot of blue-ish purply smoke coming out from the back of my car. Now, later learned that day by misstake, my rear tire were not the same size. Somebody f*cked up (probably me grabbed the wrong tire). So my car was running a 215 and a 235 (dono how I didn't notice this) at about 140~160 kmph. Would that have mabey cooked the diff? It's just after I put the proper tire on the problem of smoke went away.

high mileage 5.0's burn oil at wide open throttle
    no having mismatched tires wont fry the rear as long as it isnt a 4x4

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks for the insite haha. So how bad is this oil burning at WoT ?

Comment

It will strain the rear a bit, but I doubt it'd smoke... it'll just break and you'll stop moving.

Purple smoke.... Prolly a blueish is oil. Leaks and burning oil is common on these old cars
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Fuck, purple smoke would be cool, like a genie coming out of your car or something! Make wishes now!!
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
            high mileage 5.0's burn oil at wide open throttle
            no having mismatched tires wont fry the rear as long as it isnt a 4x4

Can fry a posi rear
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Would Royal Purple gear oil burn purple?
              Originally posted by gadget73
              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

no. You'd really have to be doing something to get visible smoke to pour out of a rear. Different size tire would make the clutches work excessively in a traction lock, but about the most that would do is wear them out till they didn't grab anymore. Mine used to get nice and hot from bad bearings, but all it ever did was perk a little oil out the vent. It never emitted smoke.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X