Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non-air to stock air ride conversion

got some questions.

1. Will the rear factory air bags just pop right in on a non-air chassis?

2. I understand that the factory airbag uses a valve attached to the top of the bag itself. can this be removed and plumbed with just airline and a aftermarket valve be used. OR electrical modification of the valve to maintain a OPEN status.

I have a set of valves, compressor and a tank that was all given for free. plus I have a sagging ass syndrome marquis.

I need to up
    1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

As far as I know, the air springs should sit in the coil perches. I know on the later models, you can swap from air to coil without any hassle, so it should go the other way too.

The solenoids at the top of the bag are what the air line connects to. You can feed them voltage to hold them open I guess, but the stock air compressor doesn't have any shutoff valve in it, so the air would just blow back through it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah I thought the air springs would go right into the old coil spring perches without add'l mounts.

I guess I could just wire the factory solenoid to activate with both the inflate and deflate aftermarket valves I have. The compressor isn't a factory one so it will be wired and relayed to the aftermarket tank with a pressure switch.

I'm assuming the airline is prob 1/4" to factory bags so up and down will be slow but I'm not trying to hop the car.

most aftermarket bags look like they would need a custom axle mount. If I can save some money on bags and mounts I might be able to build a set up for the front and have air on all 4 corners for cheap.
      1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

Oh, so you'll be doing aftermarket stuff. I think I've heard of people doing fast bagging using aftermarket compressors with the stock Mark VII and VIII bags, and those use the same control valves as Towncar air springs. Maybe if you can look up info for doing that, it will tell you how you'd need to wire up the control solenoids.

I think the line is actually 3/16", its not the most common size.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is what all I got for FREE.

I Disassembled the piston side of the compressor to see if maybe it was rusted solid as the supply line from the compressor to the tank has surface rust in the line. it was all good.

next I wired the motor side of the compressor for a test trial with a 12v source. I found some burnt butt connectors with no fusing. so I've since replaced the power lead with a fused section.

Test trial:
          Nothing, not even sparks. no melting wires nothing. also no working compressor.

disassembled the electrical side of the motor to reveal a broken wire from the positive terminal to the brush. (I'll need to re-solder the connection). does anyone have any ideas about getting the brushes to stay back in the tracks during reassembly.

I found a page that talks of modification of a factory installed RAS (rear air system) for independent user control of the factory system. I'll post a link later. I also read Drock96's write up over on CVN. very useful information.

Although the ONLY portion I will be Implementing will be the factory bags and most likely the factory solenoid on top of the bags any information helps. I would like to find a way to possibly modify the factory valves to allow for a larger air supply line for a faster setup. aswell as I already have 2 1/2" valves at my disposal. I think the 1/2" valves might be overkill for the factory solenoids aswell as I havent found a "Working pressure" for them.

The way the Ford factory system works there is no holding tank for air supply to the bags. The compressor kicks on and 1min later the bag valves open to allow inflation. So the factory valves probably seen the amount of pressure that will be in my tank to supply the bags.

anyways. gotta get my hands on some bags. prob gonna just get new ones. rather then go hope for a good JY score.
          Attached Files

Comment

Try looping a piece of fishing line around the brushes to hold them back while you slip the commutator in place. Should be able to release the line and pull it through so the motor works.

Comment

I was thinking of putting some airbags in the rear of my car. Will they bolt right in?? In place of the coils? Im not gona hook a compressor to it, just a shrader valve on the bumper. Any advice. See below for vehicle
              Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
              Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
              Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
              Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
              sigpic

Comment

They sit in there in place of the springs, but they have electric control solenoids where the airline hooks up. Theres no way to just hook a valve to them. You'd need to power the solenoids to inflate or deflate them.

Comment

Oh, thats no big deal. I was more worried about the fitment. Even on my 82 Country Squire?? It never came with air springs.
                  sigpic

Comment

Can anyone advise me of the proper donor car to look for in the junk yard.
                    sigpic

Comment

any 90 or newer Towncar has the right air springs from the factory. Look for cracks in the bags, and try and find the newest and nicest looking set you can find. They all leak eventually.

The spring perches never changed on these, so theres not really any reason the air bags shouldn't pop into place. I know the stock 80s coil springs in the back sit right in place of air springs, so it ought to work the other way.

Comment

Cool, thanks
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X