Thoughts on shorter shocks for lowered cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on shorter shocks for lowered cars

I've been looking around the Suspension forum without much luck for info about guys running shorter shocks on cars that have been lowered. I don't have much lowering on my '87, but I do have a half-coil chop up front, which probably equates to maybe a 1"-1.5" drop. It seems like my 10-year-old stock-replacement SensaTracs aren't quite up to the job of controlling the front end any more. I'd been planning to put off shock replacement until I could get heavier springs, but the budget still doesn't really allow that and I need more controlled handling NOW.

Now, even if it weren't for the availability of shock absorbers intended specifically for lowered trucks, logic dictates that a lower ride height will often want a shorter-than-stock shock absorber, the same way several guys are running longer F-150 shocks on the rear of their cars that are riding higher than stock.

Soooo..... I looked up the compressed and extended lengths of the stock-replacement shocks listed at PartsAmerica.com (since they sell Monroe and it is a pretty common brand and economically priced). Looks like they're usually about 9-1/4" to 14-1/2" without extension bumpstops or 9-1/4" to 13-3/4" with extension bumpstops.

Now, based on some comments from another thread where guys were shooting the wind about how much a shorter spring would lower a car's actual ride height, I decided for the sake of argument to assume that the ride height at the shock would be reduced by about half the amount by which it is reduced at the wheel. If this is at all a reasonable assumption, it means that for a car lowered 1" to 1.5", a person might want a shock with a compressed length of about 8.5" to 9" and an extended length between 13" and 13-3/4". And obviously, the upper and lower shock mounts ought to come close to matching up so that the things can be installed without much tweaking.

So far this is leading me in a couple of directions. One is shocks that are replacements for the vast majority of midsize GM vehicles such as a '70 Chevelle or an '85 Cutlass Supreme - this does make sense since the Suspension FAQ specifically mentions several Street Stock parts designed for these cars. An example from the cheaper Monroe line would be PN 5804 (SensaTrac Passenger, 8.625"-13.375"). Avoiding extended lengths under 13" and compressed lengths over 9", I also came up with part numbers for '82-'83 S10s and Blazers, such as PN 37019 (SensaTrac Truck, 8.875"-13.250") or 911516 (Reflex Monotube Truck, 9.000"-13.375"), as well as for '97-'04 Dakotas and Durangos, such as PN 32318 (Monro-Matic Plus, 8.500"-13.000") or 37137 (SensaTrac Truck, same lengths).

My *assumption* is that all things being otherwise equal, the "truck" shocks will generally be better suited to really controlling a heavy car than the "car" shocks, as according to Monroe.com most if not all of their truck lineup uses heavier-duty components such as 5/8" shafts (versus 1/2" for cars). I am also *assuming* that shocks for lightweight vehicles such as the Chevy S10 may be valved too gently for really controlling a 4,000-pound vehicle in silly urban traffic. This seems to leave me with the choice basically between the A/G-body shocks, which look pretty good except for the possibly lighter-duty "passenger car" construction, and the Dakota/Durango shocks, which at about 13" extended without bumpstops may be a tad short at max extension.

So my question to the more serious suspension tech-heads is, is there any validity to this line of reasoning, and if so, what choices would you guys make? Should I just choose whatever A-body or G-body shock suits my fancy? Or am I pretty much chasing my tail in trying to get too technical about super-cheap shocks in the first place, in which case I should just get the cheapest Crown Vic shock available and be done with it for the time being?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Blaze has recently installed some Tokico Blues, IIRC. Might be the way to go. He got them for under $200 for all four, too. If you go with the Monroes, I would try to get some compression/rebound figures for all the shocks you mentioned and choose from that data. For all you modded suspension Panther guys, my question is this:

The Panther platform, pre '03, is structurally flaccid. Adding heavier springs/shocks/bushings will only amplify this shortcoming. How do your cars feel/sound? I would imagine a lot of squeaks, shuddering, vibration after sharp impacts, such as frost heaves on the highway or pot holes.

Comment

your assumption is that the factory designed the shock setup properly. Which is incorrect. The rear shocks are pretty much at full extension at normal ride hieght. They are fine for a lowered car. For the rear suspension to work properly I used longer shocks at stock ride hieght.

As for the front, it's similar. The shocks Johnnie is running are a tad shorter. You would need to check the specs on those. The monroe shocks for the S10 and Astro cross refrence to the vic IIRC. I don't think there is really any issue with the stock shocks and a slight drop. At normal ride hieght the shock should be in the center of it's travel.

TQlover, my car sounds and feels fine. It's a tad stiff, but no rattles. The front shocks could probably be valved a tad softer to lessen the harshness, but the car is still comfortable to drive. I take it on 10 hour trips and love it.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Very interesting - so maybe I really should just get a cheap stock shock for the time being. I didn't notice any direct cross-reference to Vics, but the Monroe chart you pointed me to did lead me to write down a couple of Astro and even Aerostar applications as theoretical possibilities.

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
        TQlover, my car sounds and feels fine. It's a tad stiff, but no rattles. The front shocks could probably be valved a tad softer to lessen the harshness, but the car is still comfortable to drive. I take it on 10 hour trips and love it.
        I thought Johnny had blown out his shocks due to too-soft valving?

Comment

Mine are extra heavy valving, going down to a heavy would be fine. Johnnies were split 7/3 valving which was way too soft. (at least on the 3 side)

Comment

Measuring the distance between the upper shock mount and the lower is the important part. Then find a shock that is as close as possible to that dimenson at mid travel.

torqlover as far as my 87s which as far a I know was one of the first running 1000# springs and street stock shocks for over 5 years I dont know what your talking about.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
              I would imagine a lot of squeaks, shuddering, vibration after sharp impacts, such as frost heaves on the highway or pot holes.
              Nothing of that sort, my truck with the softer coils and the fat tires is harsher on impacts, car is smooth and stable. Of course now without the roof to add rigidity to the chassis driving over anything that is not freeway pavement quality is a freakin nightmare, but that's gonna be addressed eventually too.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                torqlover as far as my 87s which as far a I know was one of the first running 1000# springs and street stock shocks for over 5 years I dont know what your talking about.
                Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                Nothing of that sort, my truck with the softer coils and the fat tires is harsher on impacts, car is smooth and stable. Of course now without the roof to add rigidity to the chassis driving over anything that is not freeway pavement quality is a freakin nightmare, but that's gonna be addressed eventually too.
                You guys have the worst roads I've ever driven on out there around Detroit, so if you're fine with it then it must be cool. Next summer when I'm up there I'll have to personally check out your rides, and I'll also have to grow some hair for a ride in the topless Linc.

Michael, my car has all stock suspension with urethane front sway bar bushings and cheap-o Autozone Gabriel Reds. Are you looking to firm it up a lot past that?

Comment

You guys have the worst roads I've ever driven on out there around Detroit, so if you're fine with it then it must be cool. Next summer when I'm up there I'll have to personally check out your rides, and I'll also have to grow some hair for a ride in the topless Linc.
                  Sounds fun. Big Mid-Michigan meet for next spring/summer?

Michael, my car has all stock suspension with urethane front sway bar bushings and cheap-o Autozone Gabriel Reds. Are you looking to firm it up a lot past that?
                  Not really, just need to restore control from these old SensaTracs that seem to have seen better days. Quite possibly the $15 Gabriel Guardian will do what I need just fine.

Comment

The gabriel HD/taxi ones worked well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      Sounds fun. Big Mid-Michigan meet for next spring/summer?
                      Spring, please.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The 91 back specified shocks are actually a little shorter than the shocks specked for 92-02. My car being a little lighter than MRLTD's (ok maybe a lot) takes bumps pretty harshly. It's probably the shocks more than anything, because he is actually running higher front spring rates. However, the only rattles that I get are from my wasted body bushings. Other than that it's an interestingly loud thud from the tires. With the new Tokico shocks, it feels a lot more like a track vehicle. I feel a lot more of the little bumps, and they do more than just feel, you can see the car lift and drop sharply for any moderately significant dumps.

I am 1.5" lower in the front and the stock specified Tokico HP Blue shocks are perfect. My QA1s were the same overall dimensions and they absolutely never bottomed out.

My current spring setup is
                        925lb/in 12" front
                        300lb/in 14" rear

Comment

We need to compare cars one of these days Johnnie....

The rear of mine is a bit harsh, but for racing it's great, and the same with my trips, loaded down it rides fine.

Comment

Indeed we do. HEY, I'll be at Shenandoah @ Summit Point on the 10-11. Care to meet up at the track some time? I think on Sunday they do touring laps.

Comment

Gonna be auto-xing in frederick....

Maybe next year sometime....

Comment

Working...
                              X