No announcement yet.

gears and springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give it a week or two, they will settle some. Also, figure you're probably closer to stock height now, your old springs were probably fairly tired. The HD coils on a CV do raise it a little. CFI cars are also a couple hundred pounds lighter on average than a SEFI car.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I thought it might raise it a little... but it did more than I thought. I removed the A/C and smog pump a few weeks before, so that took even more weight off the front... the gap is HUGE. And gross.

I'm picking up a set of those spring shortening clamps tomorrow when I pick the car up, gonna put them on the front for a while so she doesn't look so bad. Atleast until me and the guy at the shop can figure something out. Still had to pay for labor though. $200. Will take pics tomorrow if I get the chance.

Oh, and one of my stock front springs was starting to collapse.
      Last edited by murphmobile2; 10-16-2007, 01:11 AM.
      1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
      1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
      1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Time to cut the springs...
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yep, break out the sawzall or cut-off wheel, and stay away from torches and people with torches

Comment

yeah, just cut a coil off it'll be much lower!

Comment

about 2" lower to be more specific

Comment

lowered cars with stock rate springs are not a good thing though. Just ask my wheel well trim about it. HD front coils on a Townie put it about an inch low in the front. The right side trim is beat to crap now from the tire hitting it on right turns whenever I have someone in the car.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Went out and took some shots today, and yes the springs are green, I felt like being different lol.

It may just be the way the car's sitting, as my driveway is REALLY crappy, but I think the front end is leveling out a little. I'm going to leave her like this for a while and see what happens... fortunately it does handle better though. One of the old front coils had compressed itself on the base about an inch, so atleast I know why it sagged on the drivers side now.

Wish I would've taken a picture of the old ones side by side lol.

Comment

it will settle more mang
                    hey if you need help with gear install, you could always take a road trip to my shop

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      lowered cars with stock rate springs are not a good thing though. Just ask my wheel well trim about it. HD front coils on a Townie put it about an inch low in the front. The right side trim is beat to crap now from the tire hitting it on right turns whenever I have someone in the car.
                      Yeah, but yer car is a freak of nature - i have larger tires than you do, and I'm riding lower than you, and I still get a light rub only when turning at full lock and hitting a pothole or a ditch or something of that sort. But, based on that pic, half a coil per side needs to come off, car will go down with about 1" which should be just fine and still safely allow for some sag when loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                        Yeah, but yer car is a freak of nature - i have larger tires than you do, and I'm riding lower than you, and I still get a light rub only when turning at full lock and hitting a pothole or a ditch or something of that sort. But, based on that pic, half a coil per side needs to come off, car will go down with about 1" which should be just fine and still safely allow for some sag when loaded.
                        Have you replaced any ball joints or bushings? If not, the added slop will allow a lot more clearance.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
                          but it RAISED my car. Raised it A LOT. There's about a 2" gap between my front wheels and fender, and the rear looks like I put my air shocks back on.
                          Yes, that will happen. I just put my new front springs in 3 weeks ago. Originally, I had cut 1/2 a coil off. It equaled the height of my 20 year old saggy front springs. Then I took another half off, for a total of one complete coil removed. And the results are as shown in the picture below. Perfect stance, and so far nothing has been rubbing. Make sure you re-align your headlights. They'll shine on the pavement 20' in front of the car.

1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                          1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                          1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Wow. I really wanna remove a full coil now lol.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                              Have you replaced any ball joints or bushings? If not, the added slop will allow a lot more clearance.
                              Yep, ENS poly bushings and DANA heavy-duty balljoints all around installed summer 2006, with the right tires car is like glued to the road and hadles scarey good

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
                                Wow. I really wanna remove a full coil now lol.
                                Just remember - NO TORCHES!!! And obviously you remove the coil from the bottom end of the spring, and mesure them well and cut equal left to right.

Comment

Working...
                                X