Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gears and springs

...are getting installed next week!!

Guy up at the local shop, one of our commercial accounts, he's putting my 3.55's in, including the rear variable rates and front HD's.

Total cost will be about $250-$300.

Can't wait!!
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

What kind of posi are you getting, limited slip or locker? Either way, it's gonna be awesome, it'll compliment the future engine well.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Good price to have someone install gears for you. I think you'll enjoy them, though it won't be really a night and day difference until you get that engine up to snuff; at least that was my experience. The car certainly felt better when I put in the 3.55s, but it wasn't exactly night and day...now that the engine runs a bit better, it certainly takes better advantage of them, though I've still got a long ways to go.

Let me know what speedo gear you end up with--I'm still spinning that little puzzle around in my head lol

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I don't remember what exactly it came off of, but I do know it's a 3.55 for an 8.8, and it's an LSD.

The only things I gotta get are the gasket and fluid, lol. Gonna pick up a chrome diff. cover while I'm at it though.

Comment

I wouldn't get chrome. It rusts and looks like poo poo in a matter of weeks. A stock aluminum cover is a better choice.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
            I don't remember what exactly it came off of, but I do know it's a 3.55 for an 8.8, and it's an LSD.

The only things I gotta get are the gasket and fluid, lol. Gonna pick up a chrome diff. cover while I'm at it though.
            Get a Clear Gearz polycarbonate diff cover. Then you can look in and admire your 3.55's. Its a cool idea, but those things are too expensive. Heed MrLTD's advice. The stamped aluminum cover is a better route than the stamped chromed unit. I have an aluminum stamping on mine now (my last one was too rusty for me to paint nice). They can be polished (to look like chrome) and then cleared, if you're patient enough.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Well damn, just ordered mine earlier this afternoon at work lol. I was curious about it, but I planned on religiously cleaning/caring for it.

Well... I'll prolly just send it back if I can't find anything better. I really don't want a painted one though, I don't think mine would look right painted any specific color. Just can't quite picture it.

Comment

Paint the cover red, that'd look great.

Comment

I've got an aluminum to go on mine, doubt I'll feel energetic enough to polish it, but it should look better than the crusty stock cover. Those stock steel covers are heavy, unlike the Chevy ones. The cover on my S10 was thin, light, and rotted through after 10 years.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, I'm sending the chrome one back when it comes in, painting mine Ford Red instead, over the winter (even with it sitting in the backyard) all that condensation will more than likely start to rust the chrome one.

It'd look badass, just can't justify it...

Comment

Alright... got Mobil 1 gear oil, my gasket, painted my springs and my diff cover (springs are green, cover is Ford Red), and took her down to the shop. I believe she should be done Friday, if not then on Monday...

Comment

Have you ordered a speedo gear yet?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Shit... that's what I forgot. I'll call the shop in the morning, see if they can get one then.

I know I need a 20 tooth for sure.

Comment

Alright, so the shop called today and told me he had put the springs on, but it RAISED my car. Raised it A LOT. There's about a 2" gap between my front wheels and fender, and the rear looks like I put my air shocks back on.

He isn't putting the gears in either, the guy he was gonna have do it he didn't trust enough to work on mine.

I'm pissed.

Comment

Well, maybe you can cut a coil off the fronts. That'll lower the front end and raise the spring rate. Sucks about the gears mang, shit happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X