Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel specs...

Ok,
    I'm looking for wheels for my car. What specs do I need to know. I'm new to wheel shopping so I need to know things about lug space, etc...etc. I don't know where to begin.

1981 Ford LTD Crown Vic (FOR SALE!)
    1979 Pontiac Firebird

Bolt circle is 5 x 4.5"

Offset should be 0 if my memory serves

If you have custom exhaust, make sure the wheels won't rub it (was nearly a problem with me).
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

P72Ford -
      Wtf, what is the overall diameter of your wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by saiyaneye View Post
        P72Ford -
        Wtf, what is the overall diameter of your wheel?
        Why are you asking WTF?

They are 28" overall height.
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

28" is pretty big.... 1" over stock. Just going wider is enough to cause clearance issues with the exhaust.

Heck 1" smaller diameter ones can cause issues. Mine are close. Also, bumps and turns with larger tires on the front....

As for a good place to begin... THE FAQ's!!!!!
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yep, 5 X 4.5" bolt pattern and 0mm offset. 6.5" is the stock width, with that setup you have some allowable play in the offset (more to the negative that positive). The wider it gets the less change you can have in offset. 17"X9" wheels have to be 0mm offset. Any wheel smaller than 17" in diameter will need to be 8.5" wide or less and should be between 0mm to -15mm offset. Reason for this is that a 17" wheels puts the rim right next to the upper ball joint, and a 17"X9" wheel with 0mm offset is about 5mm away from the ball joint. Any smaller diameter and you have to compensate for the side wall bulge.

In the rear you can go a little wider but as before 0mm offset is the setup to shoot for. As you get wider and taller you may end up having to roll the inside fender lips. 26" - 27.5" is the overall diameter of our tires.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
              28" is pretty big.... 1" over stock. Just going wider is enough to cause clearance issues with the exhaust.

Heck 1" smaller diameter ones can cause issues. Mine are close. Also, bumps and turns with larger tires on the front....

As for a good place to begin... THE FAQ's!!!!!

My car had 225 70 15 from the factory (so says the tag in the rear passengers door jamb). I believe those are 27.4 overall. If I had stock exhaust, nothing would have been an issue. But the fact that I have rear side exit exhaust, means the pipe shoots right out alongside/ behind the tire. Theres an inch between the pipe and tire. It has never rubbed, as there is no black marks on the pipe itself.

Now the rear only rubs with tank asses in the rear seat. It just polishes the side walls, which is why I have no passengers. The front rubs over extreme bumps, and I mean extreme, and when the wheel is totally turned (on the inner fender).

Comment

Working...
              X