Rear Axle Lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Axle Lengths

Does anyone have the specifications for the OEM 28-spline rear axles for an 87 CV 8.8? I need 31 spline axles for the new differential and I don't know how long they, are specifically to find out if aftermarket mustang or light duty truck axles fit my rearend. If nothing fits, I will have custom 31 spline axles fabricated, but I still need to know the exact length. My axle housings are remaining at stock length so that doesnt play into my perdicament. Thanks alooot, that'd be greeeaaat.

See if marauder ones work. There aren't any swappable ones that are 31 spline. I think the marauders/newer vics are wider. They did have OEM boxes with 31 spline, but nothing is interchangable with a standard axle, they were in limo's
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I remember reading SOMEWHERE that somebody is running custom 31 spline axles in their box, does anybody know who?

Comment

only Town cars with the Limo prep package had 31 spline axles. Not all limo manufacturers ordered/used limp prep package cars, so just because its a limo does not automatically mean it has 31 spline axles.

Also, factory limo 31 spline axles will not fit into the 28 spline axle/diff housing because its physically larger around an uses a larger axle bearing. I was told by my sources at Ford that the 28 spline axle housing can not be machined to accept the larger 31 spline bearing.

Honestly, unless you are running a supercharger with slicks, you really dont need 31 spline axles. Also the weak link here is NOT the axles themselves, It's the C-clip that holds axle in. these are more likely to break before you break an axle.
        Last edited by 88grandmarq; 08-28-2007, 08:24 AM.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Well, I have a 31 spline differential that I'd like to use which I bought with c-clip eliminators because safety hubs are required in alot of sanctioned racing events. My vehicle has been designed for maximum torque to street slicks so this is necissary. I know about the limo stuff and some truck 8.8's being 1" longer than our units, thats why I really need the exact dimensions on our axles. My car is so far away getting the front clip wrapped up finally so I can't go pull my rear axles out. If anyone happens to be interested, Moser Engineering told me about a place in California that specializes in OEM type custom axles and housing products. They said they could fabricate custom 31 spline axles for my rear end- 1800.533.7068 is their toll-free line.

Comment

Big blue tank has them. Yeah C-clip eliminators are required for what, 11.99 and faster?

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
              Big blue tank has them. Yeah C-clip eliminators are required for what, 11.99 and faster?
              either that or 11.49, but at 11.99 you need a roll bar and some other safety stuff also
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Yeah, so the f***ing c-clip eliminators dont work with our axles, so I have to order a pair of custom c-clip axles. I knew I should have just put a 9" in this car. Dutchman Motorsports (503) 257-6604, hooked me up with a pair of custom length 31 spline c-clip street/strip alloy axles for $270 after Moser, Strange, and Superior wouldn't. 3-4 days in house and their shipped to the back door. What ever happened to customer service? I was ready to spend $350 at Moser or Strange and they wouldn't even give me the time of day...

Comment

Nice to know that there is at least someone that will work with you. I hate being written off by companies just because I want to do crap thats out of their standard list of services.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87CrownVic View Post
                    Yeah, so the f***ing c-clip eliminators dont work with our axles, so I have to order a pair of custom c-clip axles. I knew I should have just put a 9" in this car. Dutchman Motorsports (503) 257-6604, hooked me up with a pair of custom length 31 spline c-clip street/strip alloy axles for $270 after Moser, Strange, and Superior wouldn't. 3-4 days in house and their shipped to the back door. What ever happened to customer service? I was ready to spend $350 at Moser or Strange and they wouldn't even give me the time of day...
                    That's awesome! But how strong are these c-clips?

I got a 31 spline axle too...
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                      That's awesome! But how strong are these c-clips?

I got a 31 spline axle too...

But they are completely different. Your's is a limo axle. Which is so different.

Comment

Well, the c-clips aren't anywhere near as strong as running the eliminators, but it's all I can do unless I fabricate a custom backing plate to use them from a mustang or an F-150. I'm not running a girdled dif. cover, but I have a webbed nodular iron cover for the 8.8 and dutchman said that, combined with the fact Im running 15" lightweight mags, should keep the rearend a little more square. Their c-clips are supposedly far stronger than OEM, I don't know by how much... I have to find those 410's now.... mwahahahahaa!!

Comment

you could always cut the ends of your axle housing off and install 9" ends
                          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                            you could always cut the ends of your axle housing off and install 9" ends

I can not express strong enough how absolutely stupid it would be to order 31 spline axles and not use 9" housing ends. If you NEED 31 spline axles, then you NEED to eliminate your C-clips. Bolt on C-clip eliminators are for people who plan on having problems and aren't thinking ahead.
                            Wherever you order the axles from be it Strange or whomever, they should stock the housing ends.

Comment

Working...
                            X