Rear Springs Q...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Springs Q...

I was considering getting new rear springs fairly soon..prolly in a few months or so.
    even tho I got air shocks in the rear, its starting to sag a little more...
    I just want to know the difference between these 2 Moog Springs:
    Regular and Variable

here's the Regular:

here's the Variable:

I'm guessing that the Variable ones have a potential of making the rear higher if I were to pump up my air shocks to the max..yes/no?

spring listings can be found here
    RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

thanx for any input.
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Pumping up your air shocks to the max there would be only compression left no extension. Not a good thing maks the car ride rough, front to rear bouncing. Air shocks in my opinion are trash.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

ah ic.
      sigpic
      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I believe the varible rate can handle loads better, thus not as easy to make it squat as easy then with straight rate ones. I can diffenately tell my 2000 rides smoother when I have a full tank of gas compaired to a empty tank. Since you have air shocks you don't really need them, but if you were plan on getting rid of them then yeah go with the varible ones.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

No, both ride at the same hieght. The variable spring's rate increases as it compresses for a better ride unloaded. It will carry a load better due to the spring rate increasing as it is compressed, also the harder it's tossed into a turn, the stiffer the spring gets.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Depends on what your wanting to accomplish .The variable rates dont handle well untill there loaded some and handling varries with just different amounts of fuel in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
              No, both ride at the same hieght. The variable spring's rate increases as it compresses for a better ride unloaded. It will carry a load better due to the spring rate increasing as it is compressed, also the harder it's tossed into a turn, the stiffer the spring gets.
              +1
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

so the variable is kinda touchy?
                doesn't like to work well unless it has a load?
                sigpic
                1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

No, they work great without a load. They are softer without a load. When pushed hard or loaded, the softer section compresses and you use the stiffer portion of the spring. It's a best of both worlds.

Comment

Will mabe not agree here but for handeling I personally dont like variable rate springs as there loaded on one side unloaded on the other in a turn they become a little touchy to ballance in my book. its like having different rates on each side of the car. Once there was 60 extra lbs in the trunk or more they were more ballanced. Just a lot more body roll with the variable rate too.

Comment

Like I said- it's a compromise.

For ultimate handling, straight rate. For good ride and decent handling, and ability to carry heavy loads without a harsh ride when unloaded-variable.

Turbo, with yours the rate change probably was accentuated by the fact you were using wagon springs on a 2 door, which wieghs much less. The wagon easily has more wieght, so the spring is preloaded more. By the times I run autocrossing, the variable rates aren't THAT bad.

Comment

thanx for clearing that up mangs!

I'm not gonna do new rear springs for a while yet...
                        sigpic
                        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

You can order the variable rate rears at AutoZone too.

I ordered mine from there, think I had to list mine as a 5.8 in order for them to show up? You can check their website and see too.

If you do get the chance once you replace the rear springs, you might want to replace the rear shocks with some KYB's. But if you're using Magna mainly for the drag strip... keep the air shocks on. Don't max them out tho!! About 60-70 PSI is plenty enough.
                          1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                          1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                          1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

The part numbers for the variable rates are listed in the FAQ, including the Autozone part numbers. And the normal springs too.

Comment

If you're doing wagon springs, I'd suggest a taller shock. I was running stock air shocks with my wagon springs, and they only had about an inch and a half of travel. Back end of the car was all over the place on rough roads. Installed 99 F150 rear air shocks, night and day difference. Only 63 bucks for the pair with the air line kit too.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X