Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the best tire setup for tudor (white letters im going with)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the best tire setup for tudor (white letters im going with)

looking for new tires wats the best sizes to put on these boxes and was wondering where i can get a brake drum rebuild kit for the 11" 8.8
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Tire size is subjective to what the owner wants...

I'd try an autoparts store. All of them should have brakes parts.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I usually get my brake parts at AutoZone or Advance. I think I got new wheel cylinders and adjustors and spring kits from Autozone once. More recently, Advance was able to obtain replacement 11" drums for like $45 each, which is a good deal cheaper than the $90 each I thought it would run. I think Carparts.com has Bendix drums for similar prices, but I found out I needed drums after I had the car on jacks and needed the job done NOW. :-p

For tires, if you're thinking about getting different rims, a 245/60/15 or 255/60/15 all around should work pretty well if you want to rotate your tires like a normal person. I haven't personally bought new summer tires for stock rims, but I'd probably get a 225/70/15. I think all the usual white-letter suspects can be had in these sizes, including Radial T/As, Eagle GT-IIs, Firestone Indy 500s, Kumho Venture STs, Yokohama Avid STs, etc.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

well here are wat the new axle looks like (OLD)
        So wat parts do i need to replace?!?! haha i think the whole brake assembly
        sigpic
        1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

I had all of that stuff like new... I threw it all out...

A brake hardware kit, drums, cylinders, and shoes should make it as good as new. Although the springs and adjusters can easily be cleaned and lubed and reused. The adjuster cable doesn't look too bad.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Go to a junkyard and find a 92-97 PI rear alxe. You'll get a 3.27 posi rear end and disk brakes. As long as you don't get 98+ front brakes, you can stick with 15" rims, I think 15x7's look good, just get rear tires that are a bit wider and taller, gives it a meaner look.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
              Go to a junkyard and find a 92-97 PI rear alxe. You'll get a 3.27 posi rear end and disk brakes. As long as you don't get 98+ front brakes, you can stick with 15" rims, I think 15x7's look good, just get rear tires that are a bit wider and taller, gives it a meaner look.
              A 92-97 PI rear axle isn't necessarily limited slip. My dad's '96 is open. That is a good axle to use, but just keep in mind there's a little caveat--make sure it actually is a limited slip unit; don't just assume it is one.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I figured all PI differentials were posi. I've never heard of a PI differential being open. Ok then, just look in a junkyard for a 3.27 posi PI axle, and watch out for those pesky open diff units with their one wheel peel abilities.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Wow, those are some of the worse-looking brakes I've seen. Good news is that I don't think any of that junk was too horribly expensive new. I'd probably go ahead and call your local AutoZone to check prices anyway, and check online sources if you're not in a hurry. If you have the drums, it can't hurt to run them by a machine shop to make sure whether they're still usable before ordering parts (obviously, mine were already turned to the max).

If you're feeling ambitious, I'd go ahead and pull the axles, clean (glassbead if you can) and paint the backing plates, and service the wheel bearings. My car is driving sooooo smooth since I got around to putting the new rear wheel bearings in .....

I hadn't realized you'd gotten an extra axle assembly to swap in. That's what I'd done initially, but right now it's still sitting and I'm thinking of taking off the disk brake parts and swapping carriers so I don't have to pull the housings from the cars. What diff and gears are in yours?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    Good news is that I don't think any of that junk was too horribly expensive new.
                    nah... you can get new wheel cylinders, shoes, and spring kits for under $100

DRUM BRAKES

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

oooh .... pretty. Makes me wish I had a picture of mine from when they were freshly rebuilt!

Comment

Not all PI rears are posi either. You have to look for one with the posi code on it.

Comment

oh and on stock wheels, Id go with 225/70/15 or 235/70/15 depending on how high the car sits. 235/60/15 works great and will handle better, but will give the "low profile" look if you have a lot of wheel well space.
                          Do they make a 235/65/15???
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i tihnk im going with 235s 70s and my suspension will get replaced soon when new rear goes in and i m going wagon springs and i want a some springs that will lower the front end a littler to have a major rake
                            sigpic

Comment

Crown Vics have very large rear wheel well openings, front ones ain't that bad. I recommend 235/60 front and 235/70 rear tires, you get the nice handling up front and the decent ride out back, and the overall bad ass look. You need raised white letters of course. Oh, and these hub caps need yo go, get some Lincoln ones but remove the Lincoln logo and paint that area gloss black.

Comment

Working...
                              X