plastic sleeve on caliper pin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plastic sleeve on caliper pin?

So this is a first for me. I had to do a caliper on the Continental and the replacement came with plastic sleeves stuck into the rubber bushing that the pin slides into. I've never seen that before, but a tour through the 84 Conti, 86 Towncar, and 91 Mark VII books shows this part. Its shown here on the illustration from the master parts manual as part 2B393

I made an attempt to use them but they do not seem to fit into the rubber bushing along with the pin so I just left it out.

Anyone ever see these before?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	50
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1398682

There is no such listing for any Fox or Panther platform car, only for a Festiva or a Tracer. The star next to the part number means its not supplied

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	35
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1398683

The caliper pin is the same part listed 1980-1989, I can't quite tell about the bushings, they are only part of a hardware kit.

anyway, just curious if anyone else had run into these and if they actually fit in your caliper.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Nope. That's a new one on me too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Are they there to protect the rubber bushings prior to installation?
      Last edited by friskyfrankie; 07-04-2024, 10:52 PM.
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I'll be honest I've been fooling with these cars for a long time and I've never actually read the service manual on how to do the brakes until I ran across that sleeve. I actually thought it was something to keep the bushing from deforming in shipment when it got here. The 1984 manual says that it should be bottomed out in the rubber bushing though.

Also I was mistaken, that sleeve is *not* in the 1991 manual so at some point along the way it was abandoned.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Haven't seen one on my cars.
          Maybe a part that was used early on and not eliminated in a timely fashion from the service manual?
          1990 Country Squire - under restoration
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
          X