Posi Differential Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 96'vicp71 View Post
    I was told that if I got traction-loc my tires would always be squeeling around corners, is that true?
    no. my 97 does not squeel unless i really try. a spool would make them chirp and hop everytime you turned though
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

yeah because when I bought my car I was told it had posi but only one wheel spins and I looked up the axle code and found out that its really a 3.27 open.

So would something like the 8.8 Ford Trac-Lok 28 spline on adtr.net work? http://www.adtr.net/shop.php?page=drivetrain

Comment

Originally posted by 96'vicp71 View Post
        yeah because when I bought my car I was told it had posi but only one wheel spins and I looked up the axle code and found out that its really a 3.27 open.

So would something like the 8.8 Ford Trac-Lok 28 spline on adtr.net work? http://www.adtr.net/shop.php?page=drivetrain
        yes it will work
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Only a locker or spool rear will make the tires squeal and hop around corners. A traction-lock is not actually a locker rear, its technically a limited slip rear. It has clutches that allow the tires to move at different speeds.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I talked to my dads mechanic today and he said it's really hard to put a trac lock in, and he said that I should just find a police interceptor that has posi and switch the whole rear end with mine.....Does that sound accurate or maybe he is thinking of something else?

Comment

Lots of mustang guy's do it....I'm sure its not Tooooo Hard.....Just time consuming......And stinky....I would not want to go out on a date after changing the trac-loc.....Unless she's a freak and likes the smell of friction modifier....
              YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Go back there, and tell him that it's really hard not to laugh at him....I did it in 2 hours, any shop in America can do it. There is nothing different about going to a posi unit than changing gears. The installation procedure is the same for a trac-loc, locker, spool, open, torsion, and what ever else differential is specified for a Ford 8.8 28 spline. He's an idiot.

Comment

I'm lazy and get distracted very easy......5 hours.....lots of smoke breaks......and thats at my worst and the weather is cold.

if i'm not lazy,three hours good warm weather.

one hour if i'm on the side of the road......I work fast when I have a fear of my car getting rammed into.
                  YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Alright thanks guys, I'll have to toss it in pronto

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                      now how in the hell are you supposed to get that truck s spring installed........i tried for over an hr before i gave up.
                      I remember reading a how to, where some guy held it slightly compressed with a hose clamp. He had it compressed along one side so the holes weren't blocked, and only squashed down just enough to kind of start it on one side. He then used a block of wood and a rubber mallet to tap it into place. After that he just got the clamp off and started putting it back together.
                      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                      Open/Lock/Ratio #
                      -----------------------
                      G / H / 2.26
                      B / C / 2.47
                      8 / M / 2.73
                      7 / - / 3.07
                      Y / Z / 3.08
                      4 / D / 3.42
                      F / R / 3.45
                      5 / E / 3.27
                      6 / W / 3.73
                      2 / K / 3.55
                      A / - / 3.63
                      J / - / 3.85

Comment

I agree, fiddling with ancient control-arm bolts that use a big Torx head and DO NOT want to move no matter what, has got to be 10 times harder than swapping diff components that have at least been bathed in oil their whole life. And if you happen to get a complete carrier already assembled, it's even easier. Also a good chance to double-check your axle seals and bearings while the shafts are out - they're not that hard to replace, but make really bad noises when they go south.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

that 78 had a posi rear end, but damed if i know what kind...anybody know what type those would have been?

Comment

Ford 9" rear, different animal entirely. It most likely would have been some form of clutch based limited slip though. Its the easiest and cheapest way, and for most street driving its perfectly fine.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok, this is a noob question: what all parts would I need to get if I wanted to swap out my 3.42 open rear to a limited slip 4.10 from another Chevy truck? And what tools are needed to get the necessary parts from a junkyard truck?
                              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I'm assuming this is something like a Chevy 10-bolt rear end? There's a removable cover on the back of it, correct?

Anyway, assuming that's true, the parts you'd need to get from the boneyard would be the carrier and the ring and pinion set. Tools needed shouldn't be much more than just basic hand tools, though trying to get the pinion nut loose without an impact would undoubtedly be rather interesting. You'd probably be better off trying to buy the stuff already removed (eBay, perhaps).

Then you'd want to get a ring and pinion installation kit, which should come with outer axle bearings, carrier bearings, pinion bearings, carrier shims, pinion shims, crush sleeve, axle seals, and a pinion nut.

I may be forgetting a detail or two, but that's the majority of it.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Working...
                                X