Police sedan front control arm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police sedan front control arm?

Would an 89 Crown Vic Police sedan have the metal control arm bushings? I have searched, but can’t seem to find the thread that talked about them. I know I saw a pic that someone had posted, but I can’t find that either. If I wanted to do the swap what would I need? Just the upper control arm or will I need more? My 89 factory service manual shows a picture but it’s hard to tell what is different or what would be needed for the swap. These look like a pain to pull, but if they are in good shape I’d like to get them before the car is crushed. Thanks!

Yes, PI cars have the control arms with metal bushings, but you're better off getting polyurethane bushings for your stock civi arms. The metal bushings in the PI cars wear out and you can't get them anymore.

I think there's a sticky in this forum about how to do the poly bushing swap.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
      Yes, PI cars have the control arms with metal bushings, but you're better off getting polyurethane bushings for your stock civi arms. The metal bushings in the PI cars wear out and you can't get them anymore.

I think there's a sticky in this forum about how to do the poly bushing swap.
      Not exactly true. They are very hard to come by, and are more expensive, but provide better road feel (performance) and NEVER wear out if you keep them greased. Mine are 300,000 miles old, still tight as ever.

Comment

Okay, I stand corrected. I know Stu found a set for his car, but as far as I know they were NOS parts. I guess the real question would be whether the benefits are worth the hassle of finding them in the first place. The ones on the car he's talking about are probably worn out already. Just my humble opinion.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The upper and lowers are both different. You don't have to swap both. The metal uppers are very difficult to find, and you will probably be stuck with used ones. I would imagine they aren't difficult to machine yourself if you have the tools. It would be easier and less expensive to go polyurethane on the stockers, and the difference between the two would be negligible.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
          X