dumb e85 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumb e85 question

My friend converted an 83 carb marquis to run on e85 and he says he loves how it runs and performs can i convert a 85 with cfi to run on e85 is it worth it?

You will need a higher compression engine. I think the cfi ecu cant compensate for increased airflow. Your gas milage will be twice as bad.
    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

you'd probably have to convert to carb first. If the CFI is working... it's not worth it. You'll get better mileage out of the CFI.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 90ltd View Post
        You will need a higher compression engine. I think the cfi ecu cant compensate for increased airflow. Your gas milage will be twice as bad.
        Increased fuel flow not air. Other issues requires different cats, different oil, higher compression, upgrade fuel lines to SS
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

thanks guys just checking i think i will leave it

Comment

e85 is a fucking scam. You get 15% worse gas mileage. Getting 300 miles per tank on the freeway? BAM, fuck you, you only get 255 miles per tank on e85. With the price difference you will pay more per mile traveled on e85 than you will e10-15 whatever bullshit. Even with the government subsidies, it's still more expensive to run e85 in the real world.

You even lose 10% gas mileage with the e10 bullshit all the states have switched to. If you're getting 400 miles per tank on the freeway, you could actually get 440 miles on pure gas, if you can find a station that sells it.

See articles on TTAC by Jack Baruth using e85 in his Town Car: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...chance-on-e85/ & Results http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...iles-with-e85/
            Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 11-14-2012, 12:50 PM.
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

IMO, the only good thing about E85 (aside from the environmental stuff when made the way brazilians make it, NOT from corn) is the detonation resistance. This, as mentioned, requires a compression increase or boost to really take advantage of. It's higher octane than 94 octane gas and I know from my 351W vic that these cars, stock, don't benefit from timing beyond what 91 octane can support. If you want to run 10.5+ compression ratio or significant boost, that's when E85 starts being a nice choice.

Of course, supply is still an issue. here in Ontario, Canuckistan I don't recall EVER seeing E85 at the pump. 87 octane is E10 (10% ethanol), 89 is 5 or 10% and then 90+ octane is all gasoline. I don't have personal experience but I gather there are US states like this too, so if you build a car that needs E85 in a state where it's common, be aware you'll have to detune the car (probably pull major timing or boost) if you travel to some other places on the continent.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I know the debate rages gas mileage cost and what not the only reason i like it is the ignition boost the cooling effect of the alchol and if you run it consistantly it burns cleaner they have done studies where the ran cars 100k then cut open the cat the e85 looked new gas not so much and if you didnt have to buy cats or o2 sensors or anything that gets gumed up i think thhe difference in the e85 price is worth it

Comment

What about fuel system corrosion???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                    Increased fuel flow not air. Other issues requires different cats, different oil, higher compression, upgrade fuel lines to SS

This is what I have learned and more from goverment and state studys. I keep an eye on this stuff from time to time look up info again periodicly. Same studys also break down E 10, E15 and E85 fuels and what happens to autos also small engines.
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                    X