1.7 roller rockers clearance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.7 roller rockers clearance question

I have acquired E7TE heads from a 1993 Fox body and also the camshaft, upper intake, injectors, and fuel rail. On the 1986 short block with flat top pistons, will I have an issue running 1.7in roller rockers with the H.O. cam from a 93 Fox? I have heard some people saying it's completely okay and others saying there will be a clearance issue. Just looking for clarification on the subject. My other question is, are the throttle bodies on the fox bodies bigger?

Yes, HO TB's '87+ were 60mm, IIRC. LoPo ar 40mm. I don't have the required brain cells for the other questions.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thanks Derek. Now I just need to figure out this head debacle

Comment

I've heard that 1.6 rockers are safe and 1.7 need to be damn sure that the timing set is good and correctly placed. Any slop will bring danger to the valves with flat tops.

This is what I've heard and what my brain is saying I should be remembering, but I have no experience with it. But like was already said in another thread, duration is the enemy with valve to piston clearance. With the stock HO cam, there shouldn't be any issues. With a custom/aftermarket cam, there could be bendy issues. The final check is cam in, heads on, timing chain installed... rotate crank by hand all the way around and make sure it doesn't hard stop.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X