1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier HO swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier HO swap

I have a 1986 Lincoln Town car with 110k miles that i'm looking to convert to H.O.

So far I've found E7TE heads from a mustang gt, the factory mustang camshaft, mustang gt upper and lower intake, injectors (19#). I am searching for an ECU but not sure if i should go speed density or MAF. Also I am going to run shorty headers, my car is factory dual exhaust but I'm planning full smog delete and cat delete. Does anyone know what else I need to complete a swap like this? I am looking to make about 275 wheel horsepower is that possible on an 86 with flat top pistons? I also do not know the importance of boring out the EGR spacer. Can't you just delete the EGR spacer and cap off egr?

By the way I noticed some other users were using trick flow heads on their 86/87 blocks, it would be cool to know the exact limitations of this setup and the part numbers used. If it is economical enough I may buy trick flow heads and camshaft if it makes a difference over stock H.O. e7te heads.

My current plan is to grab these parts and do the swap over the winter, I want it to really feel worth the time and effort of doing so by having noticeable gains. Not looking to be the fastest car on the block but it would be nice to walk crown vics and v6 mustangs LOL
    Last edited by JJ10x10; 10-08-2024, 10:57 AM.

Welcome to the forum!

275whp is gonna be real tough to achieve with stock heads. E7TE's have pretty good porting potential, but you'll need some serious flow optimization all throughout the engine.
    The factory flat-top pistons don't help too much as they're far from zero deck.
    Also the Mustang cam might not do you any good in a much heavier car, you lose low end compared to a panther cam. The stock AOD shifts at 4500rpm so you'll need to mod that before getting any use out of a higher reving cam.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2005 Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel

Comment

I'm willing to invest in better heads, if I just knew the ones that would be ideal for my application. Also someone mentioned using a different trans governor which I wouldn't be opposed to. I assume they mean mustang?
      Last edited by JJ10x10; 10-08-2024, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Seeing as you're tearing into the engine as opposed to swapping it, the GT40(P?) heads, cam and intake from an Explorer might be a better choice. There's a problem there with the EGR though, think you end up losing it with the GT40(P?) stuff. However, seeing as you don't mind deleting it, won't be an issue for you. Can't delete the spacer as it mounts between the intake and the throttle body.

Yes, Mustang governor.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I would not be opposed to that either Derek, however from browsing other forums some people were saying that the GT40 heads are not compatible with 86 town cars due to the pistons not having valve reliefs in them. I am not sure if this is correct or not but if someone could let me know there is a 2000 5.0 explorer at my junkyard. I could pull everything from there if i knew it to be compatible

Comment

Originally posted by JJ10x10 View Post
            I would not be opposed to that either Derek, however from browsing other forums some people were saying that the GT40 heads are not compatible with 86 town cars due to the pistons not having valve reliefs in them. I am not sure if this is correct or not but if someone could let me know there is a 2000 5.0 explorer at my junkyard. I could pull everything from there if i knew it to be compatible
            Will you be running the factory pistons from your Town Car engine? Those are most likely a flattop with small "eyebrow" reliefs. Most things didn't come with true flattops. Easiest would be to take a boroscope and just verify.
            GT40(P) heads are probably the best factory heads, but they don't have much porting potential. Also it seems like you already have a set of E7TEs, they on the other hand can be ported to match and even exceed the flow of the GT40s.
            2005 Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel

Comment

I am hoping to run factory pistons just to save pulling them out, the engine seems fairly stout still. So if I discover that my pistons have valve reliefs in them, in theory I can run GT40 heads? I did not pick up the E7TE heads yet but I am planning on doing it this Saturday.. It's a fairly big drive to get them. If it makes more sense I can just stop at my local junkyard and cop those heads. Idk if they are 3 bar heads or not

Comment

I am hoping to run factory pistons just to save pulling them out, the engine seems fairly stout still. So if I discover that my pistons have valve reliefs in them, in theory I can run GT40 heads? I did not pick up the E7TE heads yet but I am planning on doing it this Saturday.. It's a fairly big drive to get them. If it makes more sense I can just stop at my local junkyard and cop those heads. Idk if they are 3 bar heads or not
                Yes, GT40(P) heads will work fine with the stock pistons. Valve clearance will become more important with bigger valve lift and especially overlap. But do remember that Explorers/Mountaineers have P-heads, which have a different spark plug angle than most SBF heads, so you'll have to be more careful selecting headers.

In your position I would first go through properly on what you have and what you want.

You can probably squeeze 300 crank hp with GT40 heads and some flow optimization, but there's not much headroom. Compression ratio and PtV clearance being a limiting factor.
                2005 Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel

Comment

If you are wanting 275 horses, go ahead and plan on a MAF conversion as well.
                  1990 Country Squire - under restoration
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Okay, I don't know why other people said that you can't use the GT40 heads on the 86 block, but has someone here done it just so I can be sure? I really don't wanna buy the wrong heads. Also what is the ideal factory computer for MAF swap on this year?

Comment

Okay, I don't know why other people said that you can't use the GT40 heads on the 86 block, but has someone here done it just so I can be sure? I really don't wanna buy the wrong heads. Also what is the ideal factory computer for MAF swap on this year?
                      You been reading Mustang forums? For 86 Mustangs got a bump in compression ratio using forged flat top pistons, without any reliefs. Just take a look at your pistons and you'll know what to do.
                      2005 Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel

Comment

...there is a 2000 5.0 explorer at my junkyard...
                        Oh man, if I was looking to do what you are, yet had an engine available like you do, I'd pull that Explorer engine and swap it in. Give it a once over before pulling it: check to see it spins freely and that the breather & TB aren't all caked with oil, then pull the plugs to get an idea of how it was running. If all that checks out, pull that m'er f'er and plunk it in your car. Get the computer & wiring harness too. Not sure what changes Ford made, but there's a chance it might fit in the factory spot in your '86. Would actually be a pretty cool upgrade that would bring your car into OBD II territory and allow you to hook a scan tool into for future troubleshooting & what not.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I checked out the explorer a while ago, it's a 1999 and it has about 200k on it. Looks like the reason for junking it is that it got T-Boned. I am still skeptical about pulling the whole motor, but if I did I would probably go carbureted because I am not the best with electrical. And that OBDII swap does sound cool but I feel dealing with all those wires would drive me a bit mad. I am wondering if it would just make more sense to pull the cylinder heads, but being a newb I do not really know what I am looking for to ensure compatibility. I was following the Lincolns Online tech article, and they state:
                          • Aftermarket heads like GT-40/AFR heads cannot be used on a stock TC shortblock. This is because TCs have flat-top pistons that do not have valve reliefs. The only exception to the rule is the Trick Flow "Twisted Wedge" head. Its unique design works with flat top pistons PROVIDED you use the correct duration camshaft. Contact Trick Flow for more information if you are so inclined.

Comment

Well...
                            See what you have and work with it. Or throw it away and get speed parts. If you indeed have flattops, those will restrict valve lift and overlap with basically any head.
                            2005 Volvo V70 Bi-Fuel

Comment

Seeing as there's not a whole lot of information on this subject, I feel the safest way would be to use E7TE heads unless anyone knows otherwise? I guess maybe I'll have to call trick flow to find out what heads specifically will be compatible with flat tops. I also am still wondering what specific computer model would work best

Comment

Working...
                              X