Catch can on a 87 MGM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch can on a 87 MGM?

Has anyone ever installed an oil catch can on these cars?

I have a 87 grand marquis and I was thinking about looking into it as I get oil in the intake often. I have replaced the pcv and the breather already. Is it recommended or a waste of time? I know there are catch cans made for the foxbodys but is it something that can be done to these considering the similar design? And if anyone has ever installed one I'd love to see where you put it and any specific brand used. I'm unsure where I'd even put it. Thanks!​

Hey! I have done it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=1390770&d=1691700604.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	1398279

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=1390771&d=1691700605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	1398280

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=1390772&d=1691700605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	1398281

I have a Moroso Oil Seperator Kit for Valve Cover Breather Tube (85632) and Moroso Oil Seperator Kit for PCV System (85481).

Id not bother for the breather tube. Nothing is happening in that one. Looks cool though.

the pcv one I made a custom bracket up off of the evaporator housing/ receiver drier mount. The breather one I made up another custom bracket off of some lightning throttle cable brackets I had on hand iirc. Been years. lol

older picture:

Click image for larger version  Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=54256&d=1590609482.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.2 KB ID:	1398282
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-15-2024, 08:21 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Is the screen under the PCV present? If thats missing they really drink oil.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Is the screen under the PCV present? If thats missing they really drink oil.
        Yeah it is and it's in good shape. Even despite that it just seems to be getting into the intake more than I would like. I check it over regularly and keep up on cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Hey! I have done it.

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=1390770&d=1691700604.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	1398279

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=1390771&d=1691700605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	1398280

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch?id=1390772&d=1691700605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	1398281

I have a Moroso Oil Seperator Kit for Valve Cover Breather Tube (85632) and Moroso Oil Seperator Kit for PCV System (85481).

Id not bother for the breather tube. Nothing is happening in that one. Looks cool though.

the pcv one I made a custom bracket up off of the evaporator housing/ receiver drier mount. The breather one I made up another custom bracket off of some lightning throttle cable brackets I had on hand iirc. Been years. lol

older picture:

Click image for larger version Name:	attachment.php?attachmentid=54256&d=1590609482.jpg Views:	0 Size:	194.2 KB ID:	1398282
          Wow I am jealous of how good everything looks. That's what I would like to get mine to look like eventually. Especially how clean all the wire harness is. That's one thing I want to try and dig into but I'm a little nervous with because I'm not experienced with wiring. I have the haynes manual and a wire diagram book for mine but have been hesitant to start it. Any tips you could suggest with redoing the harness?

I like your set up for the catch can. Probably the best location possible. I would have to do the egr delete, which I should probably just do anyways. Thanks for sharing. You gave me a lot of good ideas.

Comment

Id not touch anything, unless you are adamant about cleaning things up.

Can't mess anything up if you don't touch it right?

If you do pursue anything just take your time. Sketch things out in a notebook first, layout your plan...how things were and how you would like to change things.

Solder and nice marine grade heat shrink fo joining wires etc. Dont want to be in a rush doing anything electrical. You want to be sure you did a quality job.

What exactly about the harness do you want to redo?

This particular catch can also has a neat drain valve! Totally not necessary but cool as I dont have to undo the entire bracket and unscrew the dealio to empty it out.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'd say leave the EGR unless you have a very solid reason for not. Its good for a smidge of fuel economy and doesn't bother performance any.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Id not touch anything, unless you are adamant about cleaning things up.

Can't mess anything up if you don't touch it right?

If you do pursue anything just take your time. Sketch things out in a notebook first, layout your plan...how things were and how you would like to change things.

Solder and nice marine grade heat shrink fo joining wires etc. Dont want to be in a rush doing anything electrical. You want to be sure you did a quality job.

What exactly about the harness do you want to redo?

This particular catch can also has a neat drain valve! Totally not necessary but cool as I dont have to undo the entire bracket and unscrew the dealio to empty it out.
                Normally I wouldn't even bother with anything electrical but there's quite a few places around the harness that are damaged or that are in poor shape. Plus the wires being all original are old and fragile. I want to start small and replace wires in select areas first. A lot of the pigtail connectors and wires going to them are worn so I want to start there. The connector going to the alternator is probably going to be first and then various spots with the sensors and ignition.

I plan on getting her in better shape than she is. Although I doubt ever show room quality, I want her in excellent working condition. The previous owner I bought her from didn't do much under the hood and there was a lot of broken vac lines that were being held together by hopes and prayers. Over the last months I've gone through a majority of the lines and have replaced them.

And that's a neat feature for the catch can, like you said, beats having to take the bracket off all the time. It looks very high quality. I'll be investing one pretty soon.

Comment

Yeah... the 2G alternator of death (fire) is why most of us have done 3G swaps on our cars. That harness does look a little baked.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Agreed! Those three connectors you showed in the photos surely have to go.
                    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I just did a 2400-mile road trip in a car with a coil connector that looks like that. The secret is to keep the pigtail in the trunk, it won't fail as long as you're ready to fix it.

The alternator connector does require attention. Check the next connector upstream (or...downstream?) as well. That one is often overlooked and is also prone to problems. 3G swap and running a new charge cable is a wise choice.

Current driver: 91
                      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                      | 88 TC | 91 GM
                      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

I've got both the older and newer generation alternators in use with no fuss, but the stock 2g on my car melted down a long time ago. Its had a 3G on it for probably 18 years now? First was a dud and it failed in a week. The second went for years before it got squeaky. The current one I'd wager has been on there every bit of 10 years now, and I'm trying to remember if I changed it after I moved to this house 15 years ago or not. I honestly suspect it was changed before I moved.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Yeah... the 2G alternator of death (fire) is why most of us have done 3G swaps on our cars. That harness does look a little baked.
                          I read one post a few weeks after I got my '87 MGM that said "fire hazard" and the very same week I followed a writeup on how to 3G swap.The higher amperage made the car run noticeably better, and fuel mileage went up a mpg as well, if I remember right.​

Comment

Originally posted by RedOctober94 View Post
                            Has anyone ever installed an oil catch can on these cars?

I have a 87 grand marquis and I was thinking about looking into it as I get oil in the intake often. I have replaced the pcv and the breather already. Is it recommended or a waste of time? I know there are catch cans made for the foxbodys but is it something that can be done to these considering the similar design? And if anyone has ever installed one I'd love to see where you put it and any specific brand used. I'm unsure where I'd even put it. Thanks!​
                            To answer the OP's question though. I have a generic Mishimoto copy, works as well as the really Mishimoto that came on my daily driver '99 BMW 540i. I do however have the baffle cut out of my Mustang valve cover so it would clear roller rockers. So, it has a chance to separate a lot of oil out. Also a good way to see how much condensation and such the engine sees as well, because it should separate out the water/fuel too.

Comment

Working...
                            X