Battery keeps dying?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery keeps dying?!?

as the title states, the battery and alternator are brand spankin new 3 months ago, the car was working fin untill a day ago, i drive to work and when i'm done work the battery is dead, i didn't leave anything on at all, so i jump it, let it run for a little bit then drive home no problems, park it and go out the next morning, dead again? how can i locate the source of the drainage?

Nick

start tracing shit like the dome light, trunk light, underhood light, etc, get out the volt meter and look in the fuse box for live circuits besides the clock, door locks, the shit that usually has constant power, anything odd fopund and there you go, my underhood light was sttaying on, bad mercury switch, kept killing the batt, although im also on alternator number 4 in a year, damn stereo sucks up all the juice
    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

also dont forget to check the glovecomparment light That happend to me once just the bulb did not go out I'm still on the orginal alt

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

See if the alternator is hot before youstart it in the morning or after the rst of the car cools down. Could be the regulator not shutting off.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Id check out votage regulator.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

is the fuel pump staying on? listen for the hum when the engine is off.

new fuel pump regulator will fix that. happened to me

Comment

oh and clean your engine grounds

Comment

my battery kept going dead, it was a bad rear window defroster switch

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I've been having similar problems. Try measuring the current flowing when the car is off. Even one little light bulb on will kill the battery. Which is why I'm replacing all mine with LED's. Your current should be 20 to 50 milliamps I think. How do you measure the current? Take a multimeter, disconnect the negative battery terminal, instead multimeter between battery and negative line.

Comment

lincolnmania my battery kept going dead, it was a bad rear window defroster switch
                    BINGO!

thats what the problem was, i never noticed it till the other night, the little amber light was on, i had to flick the switch a few times to get it to go off. the switch feels mushy, lol, anywho, does anyone know which fuse it is for the rear defroster? i never use it so i can avoid the problem by pulling the fuse!

Nick

Comment

unhook the switch?

Comment

you owners manual should say... dont know off the top of me head
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I've got a bad rear defroster switch too, I've had to jump start the car more times than I'd like to admit to because I've accidentally forgotten to shut it off. Who thought that running it off straight un-switched power was a good idea anyway?
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i didn't unhook the switch yet but i made sure it was off by hanging a small bag of rocks to keep it down, lmao. i don't have an owners manual for the car thats why i was asking if anyone knew the fuse for it if there was one. if not i'll just pull the panel from the j/y if i can't replace the switch by itself.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                            X