electric fan install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric fan install

I got a fan with a thermostat from JEGS and I was wondering where the best place would be to wire in the high amp 12V source and the low amp 12V ignition source so it'll cut off when I turn the car off.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Not sure about where, but I think you wouldn't necessairly want it to shut off when you shut the car off, should run for a bit to cool it down afterwards too.
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

having problems, I hooked it up as per the manual and something started smoking and the AC compressor looked like it leaked freon out. I'm thinking that is coincedence but who knows. Where do you guys with thermostats hook up the thermostat power wires to?
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Something like this

Comment

I just need to know where a 12V ignition source is under the hood.

Comment

12v ignition source?

I used a red with green strip wire that used to run into my old coil to hookup my MSD ignition, I dont know if its the same wire on an efi car, but it should be the same. Look for a red+green wire that goes into you coil and tap into it. If its not the same get a test light and just go poking around till you find a wire thats hot with the key on and has no current with the key off.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

thanks Mercmarquis!!! I figured it out the fan works great lots more power pics soon.

Comment

Guys,

I had my mechanic replace the mechanical fan with electric.

Had to pull out half what he did and re-wire.

In a nushell .... the thermostat recommended was one that goes inside a radiator hose - and is a great place to leak.

I did things differently.

Bought two 80 deg C (175 deg F I think) on/off oven type themostats. These are simple mechanical (bimetal) devices that click on/off at the factory set temp. Used in fridges/ovens/etc. Cost me about $3 each. Rigged up brackets to keep them nice and snug on the top and bottom of my radiator.

Wired them to a std 12V relays and bingo!! Fans go on/off around 80 degC (Engine thermostat is 90 degC).

(also added AC Clutch control to turn fans on when AC is on)

Too easy.
                Real cheap.
                No Leaks.
                Rob the Aussie
                Photos
                Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
                (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
                Engine: 302 Windsor

Comment

+12v can be found at alternator
                  jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Originally posted by RobClark
                    Guys,

I had my mechanic replace the mechanical fan with electric.

Had to pull out half what he did and re-wire.

In a nushell .... the thermostat recommended was one that goes inside a radiator hose - and is a great place to leak.

I did things differently.

Bought two 80 deg C (175 deg F I think) on/off oven type themostats. These are simple mechanical (bimetal) devices that click on/off at the factory set temp. Used in fridges/ovens/etc. Cost me about $3 each. Rigged up brackets to keep them nice and snug on the top and bottom of my radiator.

Wired them to a std 12V relays and bingo!! Fans go on/off around 80 degC (Engine thermostat is 90 degC).

(also added AC Clutch control to turn fans on when AC is on)

Too easy.
                    Real cheap.
                    No Leaks.
                    That is awesome!!!
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar
                      thanks Mercmarquis!!! I figured it out the fan works great lots more power pics soon.

no prob mang!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

You do want it to shut off with the key off. The fan running when the engine is not, does not cool the engine. The water is not circulating so it does not continue to cool it any substantial amount. If you want to run the fan with the engine off, say you are at a track or something, you can always turn the engine off and turn the key back on.

Comment

Forgot to mention .... the two thermostats were on the 'cold' side of the radiator (the side with the hose returning water to the engine.

Also - for this to work - you need to have flat spots on the radiator - so there is good contact between the thermostat and the radiator metal.

Also - I used some heat sink compound between the thermostat and radiator. Heat sink compound is used in PC shops for improving heat coupling between the CPU and the heatsink. Electronics parts/PC shops have it.
                          Rob the Aussie
                          Photos
                          Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
                          (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
                          Engine: 302 Windsor

Comment

Working...
                          X