Cam suggestions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrlandyacht
    how much do you guys think I would gain if I had gt40 heads ported?
    I might send off my upper intake, lower intake and GT40 heads off to TMoss and have him port them...

You must have a huge budget. Are you planning on investing in the rest of your car or just blow your wad on the engine?

Comment

Enough of the :bs: calling. Please.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
        Enough of the :bs: calling. Please.

OK

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
          A high stall torq converter isnt needed lower geaars arnt required. My 84 Mustang 302 carb would turn 12.2 quarters with 3.08 rear gears and aa T5. The heads on it were just pocket ported. Pulled 26 to 28 MPG on the hiway.
          The reason that I have been so doubtful is that I spent quite a bit of time racing my Mustang and watching what serious Mustangs can do. If you can seriously get 28MPG and turn 12.2's with 3.08 gears and a carb, you are awesome. I have seen what it takes to run low 12's with a mild 302 and have never seen it done with 3.08's.
          Regarding the comment that lower gears are not required in realation to the CV/GM cars, everything changes considerably when you are running a low stall factory converter and 3.08 gears in a 4000lb car with a 302. Even in the same Mustang with the motor that would turn 12.2's with the T-5, you would have a hell of a time getting into the 12's at all with a AOD and the same gears with a stock converter. A 4000lb CV/GM will fall right on its face. I doubt that you could even get close to low 14's.
          I really don't know you or what you have done, so I will stop shitting on your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
            You must have a huge budget. Are you planning on investing in the rest of your car or just blow your wad on the engine?
            well, I'm gonna have Tmoss port my upper intake...
            and most likey have dave port my heads...
            I'm also investing in some drivetrain parts, I already have teh 3.55's but I'm gonna add in a 2400 stall converter and a shift kit. I might even get an aluminum driveshaft if I can pick one up cheap.
            with all the mods I'm doing, I'm investing about $1500.
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

For $1800 you can buy the 460ci big block Crown Vic for sale near me.

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
              302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
              '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
              '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

meh..no thanks...
                sigpic
                1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by mrlandyacht
                  well, I'm gonna have Tmoss port my upper intake...
                  and most likey have dave port my heads...
                  I'm also investing in some drivetrain parts, I already have teh 3.55's but I'm gonna add in a 2400 stall converter and a shift kit. I might even get an aluminum driveshaft if I can pick one up cheap.
                  with all the mods I'm doing, I'm investing about $1500.
                  All Tmoss does for the upper is remove the draft around the bolt bosses at the TB entrance. Mabe gasket match the faace were it bolts to the lower. With out cutting the plenum open and welding back togeather not much else can be done except extrude hone. Which is very expensive. Once again the upper can be done at our shop and you save shipping.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

oh..ok...we can talk about that tonite, too.
                    sigpic
                    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
                      The reason that I have been so doubtful is that I spent quite a bit of time racing my Mustang and watching what serious Mustangs can do. If you can seriously get 28MPG and turn 12.2's with 3.08 gears and a carb, you are awesome. I have seen what it takes to run low 12's with a mild 302 and have never seen it done with 3.08's.
                      Regarding the comment that lower gears are not required in realation to the CV/GM cars, everything changes considerably when you are running a low stall factory converter and 3.08 gears in a 4000lb car with a 302. Even in the same Mustang with the motor that would turn 12.2's with the T-5, you would have a hell of a time getting into the 12's at all with a AOD and the same gears with a stock converter. A 4000lb CV/GM will fall right on its face. I doubt that you could even get close to low 14's.
                      I really don't know you or what you have done, so I will stop shitting on your posts.
                      Not realy trying to say lower gears wouldnt help. But maybe not as low at most use because of port shaping not hogging out. Keeping air speed up aaround 300 instead of 200 things like that.

I have owned over 30 Mustangs a couple of every year big blocks sixes small blocks except for the Mustang IIs never owned on of those. Not to mention some dodges plymouths MGs opals saabs some long forggoten and some best left that way. There are cars I have done for others that amout to an astronomical number. Any way could begin to add them all up.
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
                        Not realy trying to say lower gears wouldnt help. But maybe not as low at most use because of port shaping not hogging out. Keeping air speed up aaround 300 instead of 200 things like that.
                        I don't know if you follow NMRA Factory Stock or not. 2 or 3 years ago, 12.2 was about as quick as it got. Now they are into the 11's. These are unported GT40 heads. There was one guy with E7 heads in the low 12's but he got a weight break for running them. The cam at that time had to be an untouched factory HO cam. Now it is legal to run a "factory spec" cam. The heads could not be ported and the valve job could not extend into the ports. The T-5 was the tranny of choice. I haven't seen any recent numbers, but the top cars at the time were making over 325HP from these "stock" motors. They are allowed to piggyback ECM tuners, so they are not stuck with the factory HO computers. Even with the HO cam, 3.08 gears are no where near enough to run the numbers. 3.73 gears are the minumum gear of choice. The AOD cars with a weight break and a Lentech transmission with its manual 3rd gear lockup converter would run 4.11 gears. Once they took away the AOD weight break, you didn't see any more competitive AOD cars.
                        I am not saying that it isn't possible that you have built 400HP+ 302's with fully ported heads, but the 12.2 times with 3.08 gears sounds incredible. I don't know of any other shop that claims a 150HP gain from porting E7 heads and making no other changes.
                        You must understand how incredible the claims sound.

Comment

do you guys think it's possible for my car to run high 14's if it's got about 300 hp, 2400 stall converter and a shift kit? or am I over shooting it?
                          sigpic
                          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

YEa, sounds do-able
                            Nick
                            88 Colony Park LS
                            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Yes....

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                                For $1800 you can buy the 460ci big block Crown Vic for sale near me.
                                Ed finally selling that thing? He get tired of it?
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X