Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht
    so here's what I need to know:
    -What else do I need to do besides a Carb and Intake?
    -Is the Carb swap fairly easy to do?

thanks for any input guys!

PS:
    If anyone happens to know of anywhere that would tune a MAF ECM for 24# injectors real cheap, please let me know.
    You do NOT need a 24# ECM. You would use a MAF ECM and a MAF meter calibrated for 24# injectors. The Mustang Cobra is the only factory 24# car, but the ECM is not any better than a GT one.
    You need to get fuel to your carb and you need to provide spark independent of the ECM. A Duraspark II blue box and a reman 85 Mustang 5-speed distributor will take care of the spark. Hang a pump on your engine and you do not have to worry about the noise and hassle of an electric pump. You need to convert your pickup in the tank to a manual style. [/quote]

Comment

ok, so if I buy a MAF kit(ECM,sensor and wiring) I don't need to have it tuned?
      the computer would recognize the injectors and flow accordingly?
      or am I missing something?
      I need to get a MAF meter out of a cobra 'stang? what's the meter? pardon my ignorance...
      Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 07-19-2006, 01:56 PM.
      sigpic
      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I have done a converted pick up for mine with #6 AN hose fittings. Going with an electric pump and 3/8 ID fuel line from the tank. The Mustang dizzy will need some internal mods I can do and a different steel gear and any Duraspak II will work If its out of a 302. A VrJr intake and a 650 Holley or BG I recomend a vacuum secondary. A Locar TV cable.

For those 24# injectors I recommend a bigger pump bigger fuel rail an adjustable pressure regulator the mass air conversion bigger lines from the tank would be nice.

Remember we discussed the HP differance between the cab and FI. Its your call.

injector sizing
        for around 400 HP 30 lbs injectors @ 45 psi are required.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

ok, let's say I keep the EFI, get 30lb injectors and convert to MAF.
          does this guy have everything I need? http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...fuel+injectors
          sigpic
          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Too much injector for your application. Probably would be tough to get it to run right.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

but, if the HO upper intake is ported and has a bigger TB/EGR plate, wouldn't it run ok?
              (it would also have the holley lower intake)
              hmm...if I had 24# injectors and the meter is calibrated for 30lb injectors, would it run too lean?
              or would it be ok?
              Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 07-19-2006, 03:22 PM.
              sigpic
              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Not really... 30lb injectors are alot..maybe if you went forced induction. You would probably be OK running 19lb stock HO injectors and a stock mass air setup.

Look at that guys combo....
                forged 331 with B50 sportsman block, JE pistons, AFR 185 Stage II, Bennett Racing custom blower cam, Holley Systemax II intake, Aeromotive fuel system, Vortech T-trim cogged
                Little more than what you have planned.

Comment

so, am I better off just Carbing it?
                  sigpic
                  1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Do what you want... I'd think a stock HO mass air setup would work fine with an E cam and mildly ported heads. My old car ran a stock HO cam, ported heads and speed density and ran great.

A stock HO MAF setup could be had for very cheap, less than a new carb and intake.

Comment

hmm...but it wouldn't crank the power that a carb would...
                      I'll have to seriously think about this...
                      sigpic
                      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

CARB
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

24# injectors would work in you situation your intake is probably going to limit your air flow. Those guys that pulled 375 at the rear wheels with FI we discussedhad GT4O tublar intakes. Fuel pressure with 19# injector at almost 100% duty cycle and began to run lean so they cut short at 375 HP.

They later went on to other mods.

Mrltd with all due respect I know what my heads ard capable of. Dialed them in years ago done a lot of them. Done them carbed, injected and blown.

There are few if any intakes that will not step on the air flow E7s he is getting. I spent a week and a half porting my dual quad intake perty much maxed it out at 210CFM +/- 2.5 CFM my heads flow 235 at .5. Mr land yacht's around 220. A victor jr does about 208 out of the box.

A SBF tunnel ram wont flow these numbers.

210 from a 302 = 430 HP @ 6000 RPM
                          If I pulled the full 235 it would be over 500 = 40 LBS injectors at design pressure. Issue there is at low speed they sort of drip a bit and is better to use smaller injectors and have some extras to kick in at higer demand.

Comment

You can make this as complicated or as simple as you want. You can lay awake at night in a cold sweat spazzing about the infinite options you have or you can focus.
                            I vote for you to take a couple of big breaths and FOCUS!!
                            Let's start over.....
                            What are your performance goals? What is your budget?
                            You need to start thinking about your car as a heavy Mustang.
                            You mentioned that you would pee your pants if you just ran 14's. All the fuel system you need to do that is 19# injectors, a stock Mustang MAF sensor and an upgraded in tank fuel pump. You do not need 24# injectors or even an aftermarket MAF sensor.
                            For what it would cost you to find a Holley lower and do any work to a HO upper, you could have an Explorer intake and just leave it alone.
                            The computer does not care if you run 14# or 45# injectors if the MAF sensor is calibrated. There are 2 ways to match different sizes. An aftermarket meter w/electronics or an aftermarket MAF body made for factory 19# electronics. Some use the same body with different flow tubes matching the injector size and use factory electronics.
                            If your long term goals are 400+HP and well over 6000RPM's, it will cost you less money to just convert to carb now. You are not limited by a factory rev limiter and by expensive MAF meters and throttle body sizes or by expensive intakes.
                            A Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock Performer RPM intake in that order and a mechanical fuel pump with the Mustang distributor is the combo I would start with. I do not see the logic in taking a worn out Duraspark II distributor, buying a new steel gear and going through the labor of drilling the new hole. It is cheaper to go to AutoZone and order the 85 5-speed Mustang distributor and it will be remanufactured with a warranty.
                            If you had the extra cash, then a MSD distributor and Digital 6 box would be on the shopping list.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
                              There are few if any intakes that will not step on the air flow E7s he is getting. I spent a week and a half porting my dual quad intake perty much maxed it out at 210CFM +/- 2.5 CFM my heads flow 235 at .5. Mr land yacht's around 220. A victor jr does about 208 out of the box.
                              A SBF tunnel ram wont flow these numbers.

How can you get more airflow past a small intake port and an intake valve at .5 lift than you can thru a larger unrestricted intake manifold port?
                              Assuming that your intake will "only" flow 208CFM thru each intake port, and that was your performance restriction, you would need a 1664CFM carb to support it...
                              An unported Victor Jr will support over 550HP.

Comment

400 horse power at 6000 not over yea it would rev more but would be pointless. Its about air speed. Big ports slow air small ports hi speed. Performer intake on my heads flows about 160 to 170 CFM depending on which port you test usless on mr land yacht's motor.

Comment

Working...
                                X