No announcement yet.

transmission fluid ... everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The '91 went to the trans shop today. I cleaned it up and drove it this morning. Fluid was coming from the bottom of the bell housing. My mechanic referred me to a trans shop in town. They said they could do the trans front seal for $225, but said that 9 out of 10 times it's bad internals that are pushing the fluid out the seal. Since the trans has had a rough history, I decided to go ahead with the full rebuild. $900 gets me labor and parts. I should have the '91 back on Wednesday if all goes well. They are also going to check over the torque convertor. An extra $160 if that needs replacing. Also, it comes with a 1 year/12K mile warranty. I just hope it turns out good.

It fuckin' sucks when something like this happens. I have no place or knowledge of how to do it myself. I hate that feeling when I have to take it to someone else.

Comment

I'm sorry bro. If you were close to me I could lend you an AOD, till we built you a wide ratio from scratch. Though i have to say i have no idea how bad internals would be pushing fluid out of the front seal. Not without adversly effecting the shift. If it still shifts good I'd say go ahead and just replace the seal. If something was causing it to gush out the front from high pressure, it would surely have an adverse, or at least some, effect on the shifting.

Comment

Well, what happened over the last few winters was this: I would come up to a stop light, stop, then try to take off again . . . and not go anywhere. I'd have to sit there for up to 20 seconds for the trans to grab. Last year the trans was serviced and there were no slipping issues last winter. Had that issue not existed, I would have just gone with the front seal. I didn't want $225 spent, then a month later the same leak. I'm leary of transmission shops, but these guys are the big one in the community and they have a reputation to uphold. Plus, if they screw me over, I'll raise as much hell as I have to.

The '91 is my mom's car (for now) and it needs to be reliable. The car has been doing great and I feel that it is definitely worth the money to repair. Once my mom finds her "dream Grand Marquis ", I'll be taking over the '91 and improving it. Btw, a wide ratio kit was decided against due to the extra cost.

Comment

If you lived cose to me, the wide ratio would be for you, not your Mom. And would cost about as much as a hand shake, and 15 cases of Mountain Dew

Comment

probably the pump died and started puking fluid out the front. Sounds like weak pump issues with the winter symptoms. I usually call that morning sickness, since its mostly pronounced in the morning when the fluid is thicker and the weak pump can't move it around properly. Really cold weather would do the same thing tho.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I usually call that morning sickness
              Holy shit! The '91 is pregnant?! Mini-mercs everywhere. j/k

Comment

Finally, got the '91 back. Trans rebuild with new torque converter came to $1,049.28. 2yr/unlimited miles warranty. Seems to be working good. Will see how it holds up as time passes.

I'm a little pissed, though. The fella down there completely blew me off yesterday and today on the phone. Even when I went down there today he blew me off like I didn't fuckin' matter, but he was all nice and shit to my mom. What gives?

Comment

prolly figured your mom was payin the bills

Comment

Good price. To protect your investment an aux. tranny cooler will really help prolong the life of your tranny. Theyre not too expensive either ($50).

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Yes, an external cooler is a good thing to have, heck I run one even for the power steering system. And there is plenty of space to isntall such things in there, just pull the return line off the radiator, bend it a little and run your hoses as you please.

Comment

does power steering fluid really get that hot?

Comment

Do an experiment - touch the return line coming out of the steering box, then you decided if you need a cooler or no. In my case the PS cooler is actually the stock tranny cooler from a tow-package MGM, it fit right in the lower right corner of my radiator support, not even one hole needed to be drilled.

Comment

PS cooler comes "stock" in the p72.
                            Last edited by 91 LTD; 07-09-2006, 01:47 AM.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
                              Do an experiment - touch the return line coming out of the steering box, then you decided if you need a cooler or no. In my case the PS cooler is actually the stock tranny cooler from a tow-package MGM, it fit right in the lower right corner of my radiator support, not even one hole needed to be drilled.

I can go ahead and tell you the end result in that experiment.... It's Boiling hot.!.!.!.
                              People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Tow package cars get the PS cooler too, its just a loop of steel line. It barely qualifies as a cooler but it works I guess. Trans coolers are a must-have tho. AODs run hot anyway, and heat kills transmissions. Add a cooler, and it'll last a very long time with regular services.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X