Definately a Bearing noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definately a Bearing noise!

Alright I was coming home from stopin at the bank this evening and I noticed a strange spinning metal sound when i goosed the gas a little at the lights and stuff (just playin around ya know) so i get in the drive way put it in park and rev, no noise, rev again no noise. so i put it in drive, brake applyed and proceed to wind the motor up to power brake persay 0-800rpm no noise, 1000-1200 starts, it seriously sounds like a bearing about to lock up not that noticeably loud but loud enough, 1200-1600 noise starts to go away again, my question is this, how would I pin point which bearing it would be, I do know my thermal fan clutch is about shot as when ya turn it off i get a good 10 spins or more, at 90* abient air temp with a good 220* coolant temp.... anyone ever been able to hear a fan clutch bearing making noise, my only other guess is its one of the pully bearings on the fan belts.... I dont think u would be able to hear bearings going in the engine like that i would assume, not sure.... ill investigete more tomorrow see if its worse or even there when the motor is cold.....
    1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

I don't think you can hear the fan clutch bearings, there is fluid of some kind in there that would dampen all noises. You're most likely listenning to the tensioner pulley going bad, they are known to do that, especially if the belt has been overtightened and run like that for long time. Another thing may be the alternator's bearing going bad.

Comment

Working...
    X