No announcement yet.

Duraspark Distributor Advance Curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tell ya, I never heard of a distributor causing probs like that, I'm glad I took your advice mang.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I usally run a total of 36 to 38. Have to weld up the slot to do it.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I'm running 38 now, 18* initial, works great!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

I just got the light spring kit so i'll be doin this tomorrow or sunday...Will i have to use a timing light to reset the timing or can i just mark teh distributor and block so i know where to put it back at? I dont have a timing light thats why im askin. I know if i change to 10L or any of that stuff i will but to chnage the springs only i shouldnt well i didnt think so.
          The Best
          Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

It would be a good idea to get a timing light so you can tell where the initial timing is, and see what advance arm you're running so you know the total advance and stuff. I don't even know where it is. Its at 10 degrees plus a little bit so it sounded right. Probably like 15 degrees BTDC or so.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

With the timing light hooked up, and revving in netural, can you see full advance the distributor will give?

I never checked how much mine advances to (I'm using an HEI aftermarket distro) - but I know we set the base timing pretty mild at 10 degrees. I think it's time to bump it up.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
              302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
              '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
              '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

You could if you had a degree tape on the balancer probably. I don't know if the factory markings go up high enough. I want to say they stop at 25 or 30 degrees.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

MSD Billet Dist....uses a similar setup to a chevy. Works great, easy to tune. Adjustable stops...
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

anything i can do to my non adjustable duraspark dist.?, it says in like 4 places its non adjustable and last time the mechanic tried to adjust it he couldnt
                    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

I think there is a notch cut into the base where the hold-down is. Apparently its possible to mess with it some, but your distributor shouldn't really have anything in it so turning it won't do very much for you.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                        You could if you had a degree tape on the balancer probably. I don't know if the factory markings go up high enough. I want to say they stop at 25 or 30 degrees.

I have a advance timing light that has a dial that you adjust so it always flashes at 0 on the balancer and where the dial points, thats the degree of timing you have.

Comment

OK, that works too then.

Comment

Working...
                          X