Duraspark Distributor Advance Curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duraspark Distributor Advance Curve

Just wondering if anyone has every messed wit this before i'll be doin it this weekend here is the link that shows direction on changing the heavier spring for the lighter springs in return will give you more power at lower rpm's.

The Best
    Past and Present Any Questions...................

I think GL did this and didnt know it
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I have no working knowledge of teh 351 duraspark distys. It's easy enough to change springs on a 302 points distributor, but it takes a while on the 351 distributor, since you have to take the shaft and everything out to get at the springs.
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

If you are talking about the Duraspark II the 351 and 302 advance mecinisums are identical. If your converting a roller motor you will need a steel aftermarket gear because of different shaft diameters. For best performance the advance limiting slot will need to be welded for less advance in the distributor and more added to the inital. A lot of messing with and not for the novice. In fact most certified mechanics no little if not nothing of this. LOL annd I cant get a job as a mechanic cuz I am not certified.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

The only way to realy zero in the curve is by reading thee timing marks on the spark plugs very time consuming.
          Last edited by turbo2256b; 06-23-2006, 02:45 AM.

Comment

minor spring tension adjustments can be made with out dissasembly of the distributor by bending the outer spring anchors through a small square hole in the plate above the advance mechicnesum with a screw driver confused yet. It could be my speelingg.

Comment

I just went through replacing my distributor a few weeks ago. Only they gave me one with the 16L and 21L slots, My old one had the 10L and 15L . The number means how many degrees of advance you will get X2...ie: 16L means 32* of advance 20L means 40*. Usually with a modded motor you want the lower numbers like the 10L or 15L arms so you can run a higher initial timing for better low rpm performance. So I changed out the arms, you need to take the plate with the pickup off and vac advance off first. The vac advance has a little e clip that need to be pulled out so you can access the screw to take off the plate. If you are swapping the reluctor arms, there is a little clip at the top of the shaft you need to pull out to remove the arm along with the springs.

You can also do what turbo2256 said and bend the spring anchors in to release some tension on it to bring in the advance quicker, you want full advance in around 3000-3500rpm.

Most 302's do good with around 40* total timing that have a few mods(give or take 2-3*). A 351 should be simmilar. If you are using a 10L slot arm, that gives you 20* of advance. So to get 40* total, you need to set your initial around 18-20*. To check this, set your initial first and adjust the carb to run good, then with the timing light on bring up your rpms and keep looking at it and see what your total comes out to be. If it checks out ok, take the car for a test drive and see if it pings or runs crappy, then adjust as needed.

Heres a couple good articals that can explain it better than I can.

http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=5392 thats the best imo

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

also if you are going to pull of the breaker plate you need to take off the reluctor(funny star lookin thing that triggers the pickup) Dont pry on the outter teeth or it will break, pry close to the shaft. There is a roll pin, be carefull not to lose it too.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

Pete, how does your car run with the new dist?
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

If the springs get too 'light' at low speed you'll run the risk of knocking because the timing is too far advanced.

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
                    302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
                    '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
                    '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                      If the springs get too 'light' at low speed you'll run the risk of knocking because the timing is too far advanced.
                      Yeah... You want full advance at around 2500-2800 for best streetability...

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                        Pete, how does your car run with the new dist?
                        Runs friggin awesome! It accually gives me the 20* of advance it should. Before I was running the 10L and had my inital set at like 7* but was still pulling 42* total timing it was definetly not right. It got rid of that bog I had off the line, but its still slow off the line. I need gears and a torque converter to really get the best outta it. I gotta try my vac advance but for now it runs good without it.

Comment

So you guys think i should just try and bend back the tabs a lil bit first see how it feel like that? They say they are accesible thur a lil square shaped cut out in the plate
                          The Best
                          Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

It wont do too much I dont think but its easy to do, you'll need a flashlight and you will need to turn the motor over till the spring tabs can be accesed through the hole, while you are looking down there take a look to see what reluctor arms you have, should be a number followed by a L. You'll prolly feel some more power, and the car may drive better.

Comment

Glad to hear, mang!

I had a funny feeling it was the disty...

Comment

Working...
                              X