How to identify a 351

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to identify a 351

I might be looking around in yards soon for a 351w to put in the '84. Are there any specific casting numbers, or identifying marks that I should look for?

Also, any vehicle types or year ranges to keep an eye out for?

the valve covers are just like a 302.

Its very similar looknig to a 302, actually. Just look at the thermostat housing. If you can easily get to teh bottom bolt (unlike a 302) meansing its a little higher up away from the timing cover, bingo its a 351W...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

trucks are more likely to have a 351. check the emissions labels under the hood, it should tell you what engine it has.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

look for bronco, f-150, old police crown vic.....thats the best i can tell yea
        The Best
        Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

also check the timing cover compared to the heads. a 302 head sits almost right on the timing cover, a 351 has about 1 3/8" of space between the timing cover and the head gasket. You can make out where the deck of the head is here. a 302s head deck is almost touching the timing cover.

If it is a Crown Vic, look at the drivers side accesories. The lower alternator bolt on a 302 uses a nut on the back, a 351 bolts directly into the head. This is my 351, a 302s bolts will look slightly different.

You could also take a tape measure since the intakes on the 351 are wider than a 302. a 351 intake is 9.25" across between the front two bolts.

If you can try to find a 69-74 casting. They are the strongest, even my late 351 will normally hold nearly 700hp, an early will hold even more.
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

A 302 assembled motor for comparison

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Thanks mangs!

Comment

hey those valve covers look familiar lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                X