A/C and smog pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C and smog pump

Hey anyone know if i can take off those two things belt. one my ac dosent work and thats not a prob. its the 2nd belt on the engine, not the serpintine belt but the one behind it. i was told if i took it off along with those two units i could up my hp??????

1988 Crown Vic LTD 5.0fi

thanks, kenny
    I am the GOD of ELeCTRIC HeLL FIrE!!, and I BrinG YOu..........

it'll free up a little bit, doubtful it'll be noticeable though. And it won't hurt anything.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

It's not noticeable, but you can just cut the belt off and throw it away. I ran my old car like that for a few years. Functional A/C is sure nice though...

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
      302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
      '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
      '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

I agree. I ran without it on my 88 COP Panther & now on my 91 HO Panther. Dont know about the emissions part of it though.

Comment

my a/c compressor locked up and i cut the belt. i also removed the smog and a/c from under the hood since they werent gonna get used and no emission checks in nebraska. it made it easier to clean up the motor and do work in the engine area on that side. i also removed the airbox and put a warm air intake on so that i just had to loosen 1 screw to take the tube off and work easier. less mess under the hood, the better i like it.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

i removed these items too. and i DID notice a change.... the engine revs higher and faster, and down revs faster too(in neutral). i think the smog pump caused the difference. it may have taken a tenth off my quarter mile,but who really knows or cares. its junk, get it out of there!

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

also it doesnt seem like much, but you are also removing that much un needed weight from the car. i only left 1 bracket that held the a/c because the coil is attached to it and couldnt decide where to move it.
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Woundered why no one ask about mods in this pic
                Attached Files
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

My smog pump was bad, so I removed it. I still have AC though, or will once I repair the leaks and recharge it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

whats up with the mods in pics?

Comment

it looks bad...

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
                      302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
                      '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
                      '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                        it looks bad...
                        Function over form
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                        X